North Portugal Part 4 - The Magnificent Douro valey

RJC

Reaction score
Probably many off you already know this, but for me is by far the best Portugal have (sorry for those ho prefer the Algarve beaches)

This rout starts in the Porto one outstanding city classified by UNESCO as world Heritage.

1040487_529866817103423_2025022348_o.jpg

homepage2.jpg

This have a lot to see, better hop in a tourist bus like those that you have in London cause they cover the entire city.

Something you can not miss is the typical dish "Francesinha"

FRANCESINHA1.jpg

And the Port wine caves

Caves-de-Vinho-do-Porto.jpg

Thers plenty of them there on the other side of the river (Vila Nova de Gaia)

Thers many to see and to do, excellent hotels outstanding Port wine and Douro wines and great places to eat, almost everything is good in this country side:D

The great landscapes like this:

alto-douro-vinhateiro-portugal.jpg

Douro-Patrimonio-Mundial.jpg

Can be seen specially after "Peso da Régua" heading East for me is when the real Douro starts.

During the road are plenty of farms that you can go inside and taste the wine.

quinta+dos+Mur%25C3%25A7as.jpg

Visit a small village "Pinhão"

Pinh%C3%A3o.jpg

And for those ho like pre-history visit "Foz Coa"

5621912480_7a5ec18609.jpg

P1090793.JPG

People ho like to walk must visit "Barca de Alva" and walk in a old rail train.

1226005.jpg

34496781.jpg

It's impossible to describe correctly you really need to be there and feel it.

Other good option is do this tour by train or boat also is memorable, but not as much from riding a bike in a warm sunny day with the wind on your face, that smell is impossible to describe.

For UK's is very easy to came here, Ryanair flights to Porto airport, just rent a car or bike and hit the road.

If you want to make a huge surprise to someone and make something that never will forget I've a friend of mine that makes privates and luxury routes in this area.

Is a 5 star and personalised service that is possible to afford.

http://www.ml-privatetours.com/en/index-entrada.php

He as access to many exclusive farms and knows the area better then anyone, also has a private boat.

If you need this service I'm sure he will make good prices for the forum.

Dude, I'm with you, the Northern region is my favourite.
I can not wait for my next visit, probably it will be in August but only road riding due to fire regulations restricting the riding of motorbikes on the gravel roads during the hot dry months.
Still a ride around Montisinho and Geres National Parks and down the Douro Valley to Porto should keep me entertained, though not sure which bike to take, my 990AdvR or the 1200GSA. :)

Dude, I'm with you, the Northern region is my favourite.
I can not wait for my next visit, probably it will be in August but only road riding due to fire regulations restricting the riding of motorbikes on the gravel roads during the hot dry months.
Still a ride around Montisinho and Geres National Parks and down the Douro Valley to Porto should keep me entertained, though not sure which bike to take, my 990AdvR or the 1200GSA. :)

In the other topic you said that can live here, but when you receive your 1st salary you probably change your mind:D But I can exchange with you for 3 months!

Bring the GSA, then if your tiered I'll buy it and you return by plain:D

loving the info....we arrive in Porto on 7th August...4 guys on GSa,s.....looking forward to trying the food and roads..... keep the local info coming.....

loving the info....we arrive in Porto on 7th August...4 guys on GSa,s.....looking forward to trying the food and roads..... keep the local info coming.....

Ok mate!

If you need any info or assistance just PM me and I'll be glad to help!

Bring the GSA, then if your tiered I'll buy it and you return by plain:D

I'm on the Plymouth to Santander ferry on 10th August heading out that way again, but with my KTM990Adv this time.
Hopefully will make Porto for a night, then turn back and ride back across Portugal, Spain and France for home leg.....
I'll be trying the red wine of the three countries, but the Douro brands really take some beating! :jager

I'm on the Plymouth to Santander ferry on 10th August heading out that way again, but with my KTM990Adv this time.
Hopefully will make Porto for a night, then turn back and ride back across Portugal, Spain and France for home leg.....
I'll be trying the red wine of the three countries, but the Douro brands really take some beating! :jager

Timpo, pass by Barcelos this time!

Back
Top Bottom