A few question about the Nav V

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had my first look at the Nav V recently, there were three people here with them. I have now downloaded several routes to these machines. Can anyone explain why the Nav V required extra waypoints to get it to follow the same route as a 660? Both devices had the latest Garmin maps, the route was downloaded from Basecamp and calculated using my own Garmin maps, also the latest version. The route in question is over the Grossglockner and a route we have used for years on all previous Garmin & TomTom devices. I deliberately recalculated the route using the new maps before downloading. The 660 showed the route correctly but the Nav V refused to use a section of the 'Glockner and added a huge detour to resume the route.

I checked the settings on both devices, the Nav V does not appear to have an "avoid seasonal closure" option like the 660 but otherwise the settings matched. Eventually I put another waypoint further up the 'Glockner and that sorted the issue. The same problem occurred on all three Nav Vs we had here. Can anyone throw any light on this please?

And why do all the latest Garmins not simply resume the route after a stop. They come up with a screen asking for the next destination. This works if you press the right one but we have had two people so far this season who just pressed random buttons and ended up going back the way they came. I know you can't prevent operator malfunction but the older units method of simply resuming the route after a stop did work for most people. Anyone know if the later devices can be set up to do that?

John

Your last paragraph is easy to answer.... And easy to cure....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-learned-today-using-BaseCamp-on-a-Mac/page4

#66 (genius!)

#68 (genius, again!)

PS The cures work on a PC, too.

====

Your opening two paragraphs.... I have no idea. To maybe work out why I will need to fire up my computer, which I don't have with me.

It would be helpful if you could attach the route that you created over the pass to this thread. That way everyone who tries to help you will be loading the same route when trying to replicate your problem.

The alternative is for everyone to create their own route(s) over the pass which, if the routes download to their Nav V and display properly, will do nothing to help you solve the riddle. All you'll get are replies that say "Well, it worked when I did it", which won't be a whole heap of use.

Thanks Wapping.

I will go through my routes and convert the waypoints and see what happens. For most of our routes the issue of having waypoints that force the route to through that point is not a problem. There is often only one way you can go as there are bloody great mountains preventing any diversion. The waypoints are there because we have many guests who re set their preferences after I have set them up for around here and then complain that the device took them along the motorway instead of the scenic road. The waypoints force the device to use the better biking road even if the operator removes the tick from the "avoid motorways" box.

I didn't attach a route to my question because as you say I would only get an answer about one machine on that one route. My question was is there a reason why the Nav V required an extra waypoint to follow a route that a 660 had no problems with? Are there settings in the Nav V I have missed?

Yesterday we had the same problem on the Nockalmstrasse, a route that worked on the 660 using OSM mapping did not on our car device (a 2495) This I can understand I think because the latest Garmin maps shows a large part of the Nockalmstrasse as "unpaved road" I will try this route using more points along the road as see what happens. The problem is the route displays correctly on Basecamp and on the device when first sent to it. Previously I have had a problem with this route but the device shows up the problem when the route is previewed. Adding extra points solved this for the 660. The preview on the 2495 showed the route correctly.

We stopped 3 times on the way to the Nockalmstrasse, fuel, road works and a chat with the man in the tollbooth. Maybe it recalculated then. The recalculated route was complete nonsense and added 3 hours to a 90 min route! More work required here I think!

John

I would look carefully at the settings / route preferences etc. and the structure of the route itself.

If the Nav V has received a route with waypoints (points that the rider MUST go through) as opposed to simple shaping nodes / via points and the rider somehow misses the waypoint out - for instance by pulling into a car park to press wild flowers and gawp in open mouthed wonder at the scenery - instead of riding along the road and if their device is set on unprompted automatic recalculate (as so many are) then the device WILL send them back to pass through the point AND keep doing so until they do. Why? Because that is what the dumb device has been told to do by its (possibly) dumb operator.

Until we see the route itself and try to replicate the problem on another Nav V, it's only possible to guess at what the cause might be.

PS Shaping nodes / via points will force a pre-set route along certain roads, just as much as waypoints will. The advantage of shaping nodes over waypoints is that they avoid all sorts if other complications creeping in. With the Nav V it is increasingly important to understand the difference between a 'must do' waypoint and a 'go this way' shaping node, using each appropriately.

All 3 Nav Vs did not re calculated the route incorrectly once under way. They did it when the route was downloaded, they made a nonsense of a route that the 600 coped with perfectly. Obliviously I can work around it by adding more points to each route. I have tried the method Wapping kindly pointed me to but it did not appear to work as described.
I do wonder why this is required, just as I wonder why Basecamp has to ask me again which device I want to download to after I have clicked on the download to (name of device) button!

Life is too short to worry about such things, it would just be interesting to know why it should be so.

John

Post the route up here, please. It really is the only way to relieve you of this 'life's too short' problem that is clearly vexing you greatly.

Post the route up here, please. It really is the only way to relieve you of this 'life's too short' problem that is clearly vexing you greatly.

I did try to attach the route but got a file too big message!

John.

Had a problem today aing routes onto a guests Nav V I loaded 4 routes, it came up with a message about adding the routes and as is usual for a Nav V spent ages calculating the routes. I have found they take longer than a 660, why?.

Problem was only 3 routes appeared in the trip planner. I tried the missing route twice after that an although Basecamp appeared to transfer it the trip planner did not include it. There were now 10 routes showing, once I deleted one old route the download worked as normal for the missing route.

So is there a limit of 10 routes on these devices?

Back
Top Bottom