Laser Duo-Tech exhaust, do I need an accelerater module?

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Iv'e had my lovely 04' 1150GSA for less than a week now and I absolutely love it already, I haven't ridden off road for around 20 years but today I was happily running around on some hill tracks and through a couple of fords as they are just so damned easy to ride and inspire confidence!

I have been 'farkling' a little bit (nothing major...yet), fitting Tobinators (yes they do work) but have also posted a wanted for some 35mm bar risers that should allow some more adjustment.

The bike is fitted with a complete Laser system and has a choice of road or track insert (currently using road but have just fitted the track insert to try tomorrow), I have nothing to compare it against but to me the bike feels like it's holding back from just above 3500 to 4500k rpm (a definite flat spot) and gives me the impression that it is running weak...dunno just a feeling :nenau
It's possibly normal but it does seem to be underpowered and struggling around that point and after coming from a F650GS I expected there to be more 'pull' than there is.

There's a full service history with the 34k miles bike and it starts and runs very smoothly, also fitted with a K&N air filter. I know for a fact that there are no other mods and that a Laser 'chip' has not been fitted.

Is it worth me trying the accelerator module or do you have any other suggestions (I don't want to use the lump of standard pipe, although it came with the bike) ?

Mike.

Well, i've ordered one anyway, I got half way through the 'yes/no' module debate before finally losing both the will and my own will power :rolleyes:

Done! Is it really this simple?
I don't expect an arm wrenching experience but the GS is definitely lacking something mid-range and does feel pretty sluggish, although pretty smooth (but with a lot of popping and backfires on the over-run). I'll have a test run tomorrow and then a Skye & Hebrides trip over a long weekend :D

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, appreciated.

Mike

Ok, I've found a combination that works for this particular bike and it's not what I expected:

Laser track insert, K&N and link wire = good bottom end, rubbish mid range, clean revving high top end but lots of surging ...but all too noisy and will attract the wrong type of attention!

Road insert, K&N and link wire = Bit better, less surging, good bottom end, flatish/lacking mid-range and reasonable top end...quieter.

Road insert, standard air filter and link wire = better again but still poor and sluggish mid-range.

Road insert, standard air filter and NO link wire = Pretty much what I had thought that the bike was going to be in the first place, almost bloody perfect! A cleaner steady pull all the way through the range with virtually no flat spots or surging and still a very decent top end. The only downside is that it pops and backfires a little bit more now on the overrun but that may be down to a simple leak in the exhaust system somewhere.

Overall, I'm a happy bunny :D

I also use super unleaded whenever I can but does it really make any difference?
It amazes me just how different all these bikes can be, it just goes to show that what may work for one can have a counter effect on another so it is worth experimenting :confused:

Next, I'll be trying the module thing when I get home next week sometime....

There's a few different positions of the link wire to test. I tried two different ones, possibly between 5 and 6, and between 5 and 2 but I can't remember exactly. They gave me different performance traits.

Have you got any pix of the bike? The full Lazer system is pretty rare. I had one fitted for a while but moved back to a Remus Y Piece and can. To make the most from the system you'll really want to get the fueling properly sorted out either by a remap or a Power Commander and setup. Makes a big difference in my experience.

There's a few different positions of the link wire to test. I tried two different ones, possibly between 5 and 6, and between 5 and 2 but I can't remember exactly. They gave me different performance traits.

Yeah, I used 5 & 6 and it definitely didn't like it. Aren't there only 2 combinations, one for cat and one for no cat?

Ok, my stupid! I'm just back from a trip tonight and not had a chance to take any photos' but have had a proper look at the system while trying to fix a leak where the tail can connects.
I had it in my head that it was a complete system but that's definitely not the case, I have also found some paperwork that came with the bike and it seems that it is a Laser Duotech Inox can and a Pro d'Or (Laser) sports collector or Y piece. The downpipes look to be standard as they are older and of a different build type than the rest.
I'd prefer not to have to go down the re-map route but may not have to now seeing that it's not a complete system?

Is the Remus a better option and could I maybe use it along with the Laser Y piece?

Yeah, I used 5 & 6 and it definitely didn't like it. Aren't there only 2 combinations, one for cat and one for no cat?

It's not quite as cut and dry as that unless there's an aftermarket chip fitted as far as I'm aware. The general advice is play around with a few positions and see what works best for your setup. That's what I did and I found one I'm happy with.

It's not quite as cut and dry as that unless there's an aftermarket chip fitted as far as I'm aware. The general advice is play around with a few positions and see what works best for your setup. That's what I did and I found one I'm happy with.

It's pretty good at the moment actually but I have nothing to compare against, wonder if there's anyone else with a similar setup in my neck of the woods?
I would also be surprised if there wasn't some form of literature available somewhere showing the suggested pin combinations, it may just be my exhaust system but pins 5 & 6 caused almost un-rideable surging and flat spots so I would prefer to know a little bit more before experimenting further if possible.

Back
Top Bottom