Nervous buy....

stumpi

Reaction score
Hey all,
Long time no post here,
Had a couple of 1150 Adventures as some of you old skool members will remember.

We've settled down under and I'm using a Blade to commute on, mainly because it was cheap and available at the right time.

I'm toying with an 800GS but while looking have stumbled on a mint (looking) 05 Adv SE with 71,000kms on it and I'm very very tempted.

Given both my last Adventures had way less mileage on them and knowing a reasonable amount about these bikes is there anything I should be cautious about with one with 71k on it?

Thanks guys, looking forward to being able to post in the SE section. Although I'm still very tempted by an 800.........

Stay shiny side up....

Stumps.

I reckon most would say that's barely run in. That's about 40-45k miles in English, in 9 years:nenau. Not what most would call high miles.

Would an 800 really satisfy an ex ADV rider :augie

My SE 2005 has 70,000 Kms and still performs perfectly. If it was an 1150 cc car with that mileage we would all think its very low.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm not so concerned with the Kms as much as what I need to be aware to check as per my first post.

Final drive, clearances, t belt, etc etc etc.

Thank again

Thats not many miles but as for checks, I would say that very much depends on how its been ridden. If its had its tits thrashed off then it could be a pile of trouble and if it's been looked after and only done long journeys it could be like new. I personally don't think there is a prescribed list of things you can follow. You've had a couple before - ride it and see what you think. You body will tell you what it feels like compared to the others. If it feels tired or not, in both power and suspension. You know they're pretty easy to sort and fix.

It's like buying any vehicle 2nd hand - see if the box is noisy clutch in/out in neutral. If the fueling is nice and smooth when you ride it. Does it smoke when revved. The usual.

As for final drive - yep you can wiggle that but someone can tighten up a bolt in 10 mins even if the bearings are shagged. Alt belt - £10 and 10 mins to change, not worth worrying about.

I certainly wouldn't let the mileage put me off at all, though you didn't put the price that was being asked! My GSA has 106K on and I'm just about to set off to Bangkok on it. These things just keep on going .... I hope.

Good luck anyway

Thanks,
On another note, you wouldn't happen to be the same Monkey boy we used to ride with from High Beach would you?
This was a few years ago... Late 90s

No mate that's not me. I only got the name through being able to pick things up off the floor without bending down - even though I'm 6'3:) And as for the boy bit - that was just taking the piss as I've just passed my 500th birthday

Back
Top Bottom