Knackered caliper bolt.

mpjbiker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tried to undo caliper torx screw to change tyre in readiness for MOT-yes, you've guessed it, rounded off straight away. Tried hammering larger torx bit, no joy, tried heat etc. Bought screw extractors-what a crap design! Why isn't there a large nut on the end to give some purchase, instead of a poxy little rounded edge square bit, which no spanner or socket will fit? Anyway, how do I get the fecker out? Is welding something to it the only way, and will it screw up the electronics? Cheers!

Really... I had exactly the same a week or so ago, in the end I managed to get one bolt out then I moved the caliper with a bit of help (used a bit of wood) just enough enough to move the bolt just a bit and then just worked out the torx head bolt one little bit at a time... a real PITA - I have just ordered up a full set of replacement bolts and changed all 6 as on closer inspection they all looked a bit seized / damaged but what do I expect after 11 years and 70,000 miles...

You want some of these. They'll grip down with the reverse thread and get the bolt out. I used mine to get a gearbox bolt out the other day. I reckon you should have enough of the bolt showing to get a grip. I just put the 13mm onto the caliper bolt and it started to grip quite quickly - I didn't wind it fully on so I'm not guaranteeing it will work but it's worth a try:)

Good luck anyway

Thanks, all-not sure if the socket grippy things will work, cos the bolt head is slightly tapered, and partly recessed in the fork leg. Is there any way of getting the wheel out without removing the calipers? I could at least get the tyre and mot done, which would take the pressure off.

If you take the brake pad pin at the rear out with a bit of wiggling you might be able to get the pads out and enough room to drop the wheel 0ff and slide the hydraulic part of the calliper off the part that is bolted to the final drive

Tapping a spline bit in is "usually" a good option "BUT" be careful you don't break that lug off

Is there any way of getting the wheel out without removing the calipers? .

Front wheel ? rear wheel ? year of bike ? as there were different types of front calipers over the years...

A Torx is actually as strong as a nut, But so many people don't use the right size tork in the first place , and that takes the inside out:blast

Exactly! Maybe it was a previous owner, who knows but using the wrong size is very common. And then you get the bad workman blaming their tools or the indeed the fastners.

John

thats exactly what I wound that reverse bolt onto - I have an r1150gsa - same bolt! OK - so just for giggles I went and tried it

brake_zps35c842e9.jpg

I had to apply some pressure to get it started - then they both came straight out. I don't know how tight these were mind!

Bash a hex-bit in? Or give it a tap with a small chisel to turn it? Or bash the head with a dolly to flatted it a bit, then bash the bit in? So many ways, grasshopper...

Bash a hex-bit in? Or give it a tap with a small chisel to turn it? Or bash the head with a dolly to flatted it a bit, then bash the bit in? So many ways, grasshopper...

What about Bish and Bosh.... can't they be used too?

Thanks, monkeyboy, Irwins arrived today, out to garage, bit of heat, socket on, straight out with no drama at all! Seem to have slightly melted black shrink wrap on ABS sensor wire, but the brown wire inside seems intact, so hopefully a bit of tape will sort that. Thanks again!

Thanks, monkeyboy, Irwins arrived today, out to garage, bit of heat, socket on, straight out with no drama at all! Seem to have slightly melted black shrink wrap on ABS sensor wire, but the brown wire inside seems intact, so hopefully a bit of tape will sort that. Thanks again!

Excellent news - these things are really useful to have kicking about. I got a set of small ones in the states too. Got me out quite a few problems:) You will use them again I'm sure:)

Back
Top Bottom