Tourance wear rate.

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is the first GS (1150) I've had Tourances on, great tyres, but what mileage should I expect from the remaining 4mm on the rear, 2 up steady touring.

I'm setting off for the Black Forest later this year and I'm wondering if they'll be ok for 2000+ miles.

I suspect that they'll need changing just in case as realistically I'd change them at about 2mm anyway.

Thoughts please.

Thanks

Are they standard Tourance or EXP?

I used Tourance for many years and got around 6K miles out of the rears however I then changed to EXP and found this was halved. As the EXP did nothing more for me than the standard Tourance (they may have more grip but I never exploited it) I went back to the Standard type and enjoyed the lower cost and increased mileage.

Thanks for the reply, they're standard Tourances.

As I bought the bike with them already fitted I've no idea how many miles it's taken to get em to 4mm or how many miles are left. I suspect they're maybe half worn which would suggest I've got about 3k left?

I have had Tourances on the bike for about the last 85k - eight rears and seven fronts in that time so averaged around 10.5k from rears and 12k from fronts; would have expected to get 2000 miles plus out of 4mm on a rear, but if not you can get tyres abroad :D

I was in the same sort of situation last year - just shy of 5mm in the centre of my rear tourance before a two up fully loaded tour around the alps. I ended up leaving it on and 2500 miles later I'm at home, still with about 3.5mm on it in the centre (and that included some high speed autobahn thrashes to get to the fun bits).

Back
Top Bottom