Exhaust heat and luggage?

Chewie2112

Reaction score
Looking at my luggage options and have started to consider either BmW touring panniers or Hepco Becker/Givi Trakker.

Just seen some comments about excessive heat from the exhaust being an issue with plastic panniers.

Is this a problem?

Certainly not if you get rid of that heavy old silencer and fit a stubby to the cat. Means you can then put on two full size panniers too.

I run a standard can and y-piece and don't have a problem with the standard panniers. I've noticed some clothes can be slightly warm to the touch but nothing major to worry about unless you were hoping to fill it with ice and keep your beers cool on a summers day (in which case it'll probably still be fine for hours).

On my 2002 GS i have standard exhaust fitted with two 36L alpos aluminium panniers and when i carried two packs of beer in the panniers on the second day me and my mate where amazed that they where so cold even the ones on the exhaust side!

Standard panniers are a bit of a pain because they open outwards. I have Verns project VND worldbeaters which are the finest panniers money can buy and open from the top. This means you can get stuff out without it spilling all over the garage forecourt. They have no detrimental effect on handling and sit as close as possible to the bike, maximising the potential space available. Heat from the exhaust is dealt with via a little add on exhaust extender.
I rode through 42 degrees of Spannish midday sun with no issues.
Having used the system panniers, givi and touratech panniers, I wouldn't swop my Verns for anything. Camping gear in one side (including tent!), enough clothes for two weeks away in the other side. This meant the bike was cluttered up with crap strapped to the back and sides.
Spend wisely and you'll only buy once!

Same as above no problem with the system panniers at all with heat but after having top loading panniers I will not go back to the side loading system panniers, much more practical.:thumb2

I agree that top loading is easier to get things stored. I have just put bungee buddies on the top of my system panniers (thanks, Andy D) and the side opening then becomes convenient, allowing you to access the panniers without disturbing the strap on load.

Unless going round the world, I find the system panniers great. Big enough for medium/long trips and easy to detach. I think many of the bikes look pretentious with those coffers on the side when most don't even have anything in them. But its up to each to their own.
I would like a full size exhaust side pannier but don't want to loose the silencer, may try one, but this problem is applicable to both system and alloy boxes.

Looking at my luggage options and have started to consider either BmW touring panniers or Hepco Becker/Givi Trakker.

Just seen some comments about excessive heat from the exhaust being an issue with plastic panniers.

Is this a problem?

The heat radiating from the exhaust can isn't the problem, it's the heat coming out of the end of the exhaust that can be. The bike will have a y-piece, almost certainly, and may or may not have an aftermarket end can, and the rear left indicator, or the back end of the pannier, or the number plate can be heat damaged. On my 1150 which had a Remus y-piece, OEM can and BM plastic panniers, a hole was burnt in the back end of the pannier, just like here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?19647-Pannier-heatsheild&highlight=exhaust

The heat radiating from the exhaust can isn't the problem, it's the heat coming out of the end of the exhaust that can be. The bike will have a y-piece, almost certainly, and may or may not have an aftermarket end can, and the rear left indicator, or the back end of the pannier, or the number plate can be heat damaged. On my 1150 which had a Remus y-piece, OEM can and BM plastic panniers, a hole was burnt in the back end of the pannier, just like here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?19647-Pannier-heatsheild&highlight=exhaust

Yes my bike has a Y piece, but is currently running a standard end can. Does the proximity of the standard touring panniers make the heat build up worse? And would givi or Hepco Becker panniers on bespoke frames that move them out from the bike help airflow? And so aid cooling the exhaust gases?

Never realised luggage was going to be such a nightmare, I'm looking to fit a Remus end can to help with the popping on over-run so want to make sure my panniers are safe from heat build up.

I got rid of popping on the overrun by getting rid of Y-piece and refitting cat, never popped again since. I had a set of full size system panniers on the bike for first 100k by which time the lids had 'stretched' a little from all the crap I had stuffed in them and they had started leaking. Replaced them with set of secondhand aluminium panniers. These are more convenient with the top lids, definitely crash better (and make picking bike up again easier!) but I do miss the system panniers when filtering - never used to worry about bouncing off cars with those fitted! If you did want to try out a set of system panniers are welcome to borrow mine.

Yes my bike has a Y piece, but is currently running a standard end can. Does the proximity of the standard touring panniers make the heat build up worse? And would givi or Hepco Becker panniers on bespoke frames that move them out from the bike help airflow? And so aid cooling the exhaust gases?

Never realised luggage was going to be such a nightmare, I'm looking to fit a Remus end can to help with the popping on over-run so want to make sure my panniers are safe from heat build up.

If you can find some of the 10 year old threads, one option to make sure there isn't any heat transfer to the panniers was to stick some heat resisting blanket in the area next to the end can. I did something similar by using aluminium tape over the end and next to the can. That the indicators or number plate or pannier can get damaged makes it harder to work out just what is the problem, though Remus did do an extender that fitted onto their end can, but using an old tin can and jubilee clip would give the same effect, without the hit to the wallet.

Back
Top Bottom