Breakdown / Recovery Insurance

digga

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody had / recommend any insurance from a Third Party that will repatriate the bike back to the UK in the event of a mechanical failure in Europe?

What about the ADAC?
There has been much speculation about them not taking new UK members, however that is not true, they ARE still accepting new UK members.
Albeit they`d prefer you to have breakdown recovery from your home country
There was a recent debate on another forum about the ADAC with someone recently joining
Alan 29 said:
I joined ADAC last month for the first time. It seems that the rumours about banning UK residents was not correct after all. Paid with a card over the phone.
Alan 29 said:
I emailed them first at
Evelyn.Kunz@nrh.adac.de

She (Evelyn who speaks English) sent me the forms which I completed and returned. However there was a problem about transferring the money - something to do with IBAN codes or somesuch. I never got to tyhe root of the problem and my bank just shrugged their shoulders, as they do.

So I phoned them on
0851 5903 2523 (plus the code for Germany 0049) and asked to speak to an English speaker and I paid using my debit card.
As I`m already an ADAC member I emailed Evelyn regarding the possibility of a mate joining, and her reply was:
Dear Peirre:
thank you for your message and interest in joining ADAC.

Please note that the ADAC (Plus-)membership provides a reduced range of services and benefits for members residing outside
Germany. The classic membership covers breakdown assistance in Germany only.

ADAC Plus members will not be entitled to benefits such as spare parts dispatch, vehicle customs Germany and in your
duties and scrapping, credits and cash service in Germany and in their country of residence. ...

In view of the above, would you please verify whether a local organisation offers a product that better suits your needs.

Under the FIA umbrella organisation, ADAC cooperates with other automobile clubs. We believe that your local automobile club
might offer products that provide more comprehensive protection.

For further questions please call 0049 221 474747

Mit freundlichem Gruss,

Evelyn Kunz-Müller
Telefonservice-Backoffice
ADAC Nordrhein e.V. - Bremsstr.9 - 50969 Köln
Telefon (0221) 4727-444 - Telefax (0221) 4727-452
evelyn.kunz@nrh.adac.de - www.adac.de

Just joined ADAC last month. Phoned and paid by credit card. Hope never to use it but €113 for full EU breakdown, home start, relay etc seemed cheap to me! They have rather bombarded us with post though. Two sets of membership cards, lots of offers and many requests for payment even though I've already paid! Ignored them......

Yes, there is a worry about ringing Germany if the time comes to use it, but RAC wanted £238 IIRC for same cover.

The AA turn up in UK if you use ADAC!

A

Yes, there is a worry about ringing Germany if the time comes to use it
IF you have a smartphone why not load the ADAC Pannenhilfe (Breakdown) App onto your phone.
Then if you breakdown, once activated & assuming you have a mobile phone signal the app should be able to contact the ADAC to your dilemma, pinpoint your location, and they should call you back.
AFAIK it works the same as the AA app does here in the UK

Back
Top Bottom