Tyres........ advice please

tiredtrooper

Reaction score
A recent change in work circumstances means I must now use my GS 1150 for commuting.
I'll be doing about 2000 miles a month.
Most of the drive is on a major A class road so no twisty corners.
Can any of you advise me of a set of tyres that will not go flat in the centre within two months ?

Good old Tourances are as good as anything IMHO.

Steady acceleration on the throttle and they should be good for 8-10k miles

Conti Road Attacks give good mileage and good grip on tarmac too ;)
I used mine every day for work doing 10k miles per year plus
I would doubt there is a tyre that will not square off though

Road attacks, or Trail attacks? I've had the trails on for a couple of thousand miles so far, and I'm very happy with them. IMHO, better than both the Tourances and the Distanzias I had before.
But I'd be very surprised if road attacks, which are usually dearer and start out with less tread, would last longer than trails:nenau

Put on a pair of Conti Road Attacks a few months ago for my A road commuting and they have been very good .. Especially when they were first on and we had that very wet weather ... In the dry they are sublime ... Will definitely get another set. :thumb2

Didn't read things quite right...
I got Trail Attacks on mine (1100), current pair now languishing in Linda's garage on the spare wheels, as I'm trying some TKC80s (and very impressed with those as well). They have done around 11k since I fitted them, with another 1000 left in each.

I suspect Road Attacks wouldn't last as long, but would be even stickier. Going to try some just for the hell of it when these need replacing.

Didn't read things quite right...
I got Trail Attacks on mine (1100), current pair now languishing in Linda's garage on the spare wheels, as I'm trying some TKC80s (and very impressed with those as well). They have done around 11k since I fitted them, with another 1000 left in each.

I suspect Road Attacks wouldn't last as long, but would be even stickier. Going to try some just for the hell of it when these need replacing.

Are you sure you ride an 1100 and not a 1200?

1200s often get 10,000+ miles out of their tyres (usually because at least 4000 miles are done on the back of a tow truck :D)

11k miles from TKCs? :eek:

They must have changed since I last used them... I was struggling to get more than 1800 miles from a rear, because they were lovely and soft and I could really get them squirming in the dry. I managed to slipstream my mate on his gixer thou' at just under 140mph down the Cronk y Voddy straight, then had it gently drifting around some of the corners down to Kirk Michael in IOM a few years ago. It sounds a bit unlikely, I know, but they're brilliantly predictable tyres in the dry. We parked up in Ramsey and some of the guys we had passed pulled up and the comments and looks on their faces were priceless when they realised I'd gone around them on knobblies.

I don't honestly think TKCs are what the OP needs for commuting...

i have anakee III's on my r1150gs, done just over 5000 miles so far and have around 4mm of tread left and have to say they suit the old rattler very well.

11k miles from TKCs? :eek:

They must have changed since I last used them... I was struggling to get more than 1800 miles from a rear, because they were lovely and soft and I could really get them squirming in the dry. I managed to slipstream my mate on his gixer thou' at just under 140mph down the Cronk y Voddy straight, then had it gently drifting around some of the corners down to Kirk Michael in IOM a few years ago. It sounds a bit unlikely, I know, but they're brilliantly predictable tyres in the dry. We parked up in Ramsey and some of the guys we had passed pulled up and the comments and looks on their faces were priceless when they realised I'd gone around them on knobblies.

I don't honestly think TKCs are what the OP needs for commuting...

No, that was badly worded on my part, the Trail Attacks, which are languishing on my spare wheels have done 11k-ish. The TKCs are recently fitted, maybe done 500 so far.

I wasn't sure what to expect, I hadn't ridden on knobblies since 1980, but the damned things are turning me in to a hooligan...:D:D

If you're liking the TKC's but doing 2K a month, you'll soon not like the TKC's. My experience of the road rubber is 5-7K before they've worn out and/or gone square. The best tyre i have ever run, both for wear resistance, usability and handling once 2/3rds worn and squaring off has to be the Heidenau K60's.

If you're liking the TKC's but doing 2K a month, you'll soon not like the TKC's. My experience of the road rubber is 5-7K before they've worn out and/or gone square. The best tyre i have ever run, both for wear resistance, usability and handling once 2/3rds worn and squaring off has to be the Heidenau K60's.

Is that 5-7k out of TKCs? I'd be happy with that, it's comparable to what I get from the Yam with Metz Lasertechs on it.

Depending on where I'm working from I can do up to 2k a month, but it's shared with the Yam on a monthly rotation, so time wise they should last OK.

Is that 5-7k out of TKCs? I'd be happy with that, it's comparable to what I get from the Yam with Metz Lasertechs on it.

Depending on where I'm working from I can do up to 2k a month, but it's shared with the Yam on a monthly rotation, so time wise they should last OK.

I've never known anyone get more than 3-3.5k out tkc's, I certainly can't. I have a set of sava mc60 on test as they are supposed to be good for 5-6k and have an off road knobbly style.

Nope, TKC's run between 1500 and 3000 miles on a rear and up to 5K on a front, depending on how it's ridden, which is why you won't like them for high mileage. I've had 5-7K on average (F&R) from Conti's, Avon's, Bridgestone's, Metzeler's and Michelin. By far the worst road rubber, for me, were the Avon's, followed closely by the Bridgestone's in the wet.
I think the TKC's are a super tyre, but they just don't last very long, which is why i like the Heidenau's. They'll go off road or on (in true GS tradition) and, again for me, will do 10K.

Michelin Anakee 2's have worked well for me; they are now obsolete, so I will transition to Anakee 3's when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom