Puncture?

(RIP) Jamie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I dunno. The front goes down when left as it has been for the past couple of weeks - the bike doesnt rest on the wheel.

Yet I pump it up and it's fine, for a while (about a fortnight, if left).

I've checked the tyre twice now, but to no avail. Nothing obvious sticking out.

Could it be the valve? Would I just be able to get it replaced at a Kwik Fit ype place, are they standard sizes?

Cheers

Jamie

Pump it up to normal pressure and put some spit over valve core, then if air bubbles appear, then you need a new valve core, as it 's leaking.

If that's not the problem, then take the wheel out and immerse all or part of it in a trough or bucket/dustbin of water to see if air is escaping from tyre itself.

May just be something nearly invisible.......like a blackthorn

Jamie,
if the valve is leaking, let all the air out, unscew the valve internals and put back in. Could just be seated incorrectly.
If still leaking change the internals (new or nicked off a neighbours car!) - cheaper than having whole valve replaced.

Always do the spit check (even after checking pressure) incase the internals are dislodged. Sometimes just letting a burst of air out will allow it to reseal.

I cleared out all the bits of flint from my rear wheel and 3 days later had a flat tyre. Couldn't spot an obvious puncture anywhere - finally mixed up a couple of pints of water with a good couple of squirts of Fairy Liquid and dribbled the mixture all over the tyre so it was completely "soaked" - left it for 10 mins and a little mound of bubbles highlighted the "hole" (which was in fact where I had removed a piece of flint).

could be corrosion around the wheel rim, not serious corrosion, but it's where the tyre seals, so allows the air to escape over a period of time, which gets shorter as the corrosion gets worse

Could be your pikey neighbours letting it down, to cure it go round and sort them out or move house :)

at yer own risk...

a tiny drop of oil in place of spit can reseat / seal the valve.
add the oil - then a blast of air into the tyre.
saw an old copper do this years ago on a Police issue CX 500 (yes - THAT long ago:D ).
sometimes it works / sometimes it dont.
oh - and at yer own risk.
HTH
Og.

Both of my tyres lose about 1psi per week when left standing; always have done, despite 4 or more tyre changes over the last couple of years. Funny thing is, when ridden every day this doesn't seem to happen. Can't explain it.

Its that time of the year for you Jamie Remember last year

roadside at 3 o clock in the morning

lost the photo

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Have you been using the gs flag again :D :D :D

kwik fit bloody hell man you mean kwik shit

its probably so feckin' cold over there - all the air shrinks inside the tyre.

Take it on holiday somewhere warm.

either that or replace all the cold air with hot air .:p

TERRY RYAN said:
Its that time of the year for you Jamie Remember last year

roadside at 3 o clock in the morning

lost the photo

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Have you been using the gs flag again :D :D :D

kwik fit bloody hell man you mean kwik shit

Thanks for reminding me. You're probably right, almost a year previous to that it happened as well.

Still, it wasn't -4 when I eventually got home though:cool:

Back
Top Bottom