Tip on route shaping in Basecamp (Will not announce)

ebbo

Reaction score
You draw a route from A to B in Basecamp, then want to shape it to the roads you want to ride/drive, but, you don't want the shaping points to be announced by the satnav as you ride the route.

On country roads this is mostly not a problem as they aren't announced as its just a road, but in town and villages your shaping point often fall on addresses or businesses and these will be announced.

Solution, place you shaping points on road junctions, these are not announced, problem solved!

Any waypoints (now called Favorites) in the route will be announced (but that's usually a good thing).

Ultimately, you choose whats going to be announced by the way you construct the route :thumb

The problem for the unwary of plonking the point on any junction, is that it's very easy not to spot that you've plonked it right at the mouth of the wrong road, which the clever software will then route you up... A common moan from those less than patient bods, only too keen to blame the device for their errors.

Simply review you route (route info) turning those waypoints into shaping nodes that you want as shaping points, whilst leaving any others as announcable waypoints. 100% reliable and less prone to forced errors.

Me? I have the sound off and turn everything to shaping nodes.

Sorry, whats a shaping point? just looked at my basecamp and can't see it anywhere.:nenau :blast

I'm just about to create a load of routes for a trip next week, so am trying to learn and practice everything, and it's proving quite difficult :blast

Sorry, whats a shaping point? just looked at my basecamp and can't see it anywhere.:nenau :blast

I'm just about to create a load of routes for a trip next week, so am trying to learn and practice everything, and it's proving quite difficult :blast

Every change of direction, turn left, turn right etc. You can also put in extra ones to force a route to go where you want it to go instead of where the mapping wants to go

BaseCamp works, near enough, exactly the same way as Mapsource did.

In many ways, BaseCamp is better, in that it can do more things... Probably too many for some, if the truth be told.

Just be patient with it when you start. Practice makes perfect; it really does.

In old school Mapsource, I wouldn't normally place a shaping point (via point) on a road junction because when your riding the route you may get warnings of the approaching turn and the shaping point, not good. Basecamp does seem better in this, you can at least read the route property's and see what will be announced, and what will not (see post 10 below).

Anyway, I'll demonstrate where I place the shaping point below.

I want to ride via Granthem Drive, clicking anywhere on that road to place a shaping point but a road junction will be an address and your satnav will announce it :mad:

But, by placing the shaping point on the junction of Howe Hill Close and Granthem Drive its not announced :thumb

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,250
This is the route after placing the shaping point

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,212
Here's the route property's, no alerts on any of the shaping points

Attachments

• alert.jpg