Returning to an 1100GS...

(RIP) Kaister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well i sold the Road king and had some but not all of the money burning a hole in my pocket.
Idly leafing through the interweb used bike pages of ebay , gumtree, etc etc i could not decide what to get - even though i wasn't looking for anything specific.
I went onto 'Bikepoint'...which i hardly ever go to and found that someone had put an 1100GS on the day before for $1900.
This is almost an unheard of price over here as they are usually starting at around 5k and still reach around 10k for good ones.
The pictures looked ok, it had cases and a topbox, so i rang him up and we agreed on $1500 on the phone. I picked it up at the weekend and set about cleaning it up. it was tatty for sure, but all the right things are there. It runs very well, has new brake lines and newish tyres too. It is also a 95 model with a plastic tank ( slightly larger than the std metal tank ) and bare ally wheel rims and has 140000kms on it....the engine is as sweet and noise free as a new one.
However, the gearbox has a bearing noise that is likely to be one of the older style taper rollers fitted to each end of the input shaft. This is a relatively easy fix and the parts are cheap enough.
Prev Owner said it cut out a few times, but it looks like the ignition loom is ok and the hall sensor usually means they don't start - so i'm guessing at the moment its the sidestand switch - which i will bypass.
Even the ABS still works.

Out for a ride and it feels much quicker than my old 99 1100...there is a power step at 5000 revs that made me think the clutch was slipping...it wasn't - but it does seem quick. :eek: ( most things are quick after a harley..;)).

I thought long and hard about an airhead and also a K-bike, but to be honest, i think they are overpriced for what they are. I couldn't go past this bike at this price, so i'm pretty happy.

If i'm honest, i think it could do with a rear shock at some point in the future, so I'm looking around - anyone got anything lying in a shed ?

here's the old girl...it really feels like getting on an old comfy sofa again...

10498534_10152223618935784_7945893259355558979_o.jpg

10497266_10152223618630784_7611187436194065577_o.jpg

10296150_10152223618805784_4211695608968215141_o.jpg

it really feels like getting on an old comfy sofa again...

Well done !
Enjoy it, I'd love to have a GS but I'm a little too short to comfortably get both feet down.
I tend to go for the R1100r's instead, same tractor like engine but much lower to the ground.

I did consider getting a GS and lowering it, but it just wouldn't look right.

Have fun on it.
The gearboxes are a piece of piss to do. :thumb

ps, tidy that fucking garage up ! :D

Interesting move

I thought the RK was a keeper & GS 's were history

I guess they keep sucking you back

never say never to anything, eh ?

interestingly - the harley was a 95 with 140000kms on it and was pristine...almost showroom.
The BM is the exact same age and year and looks pretty dreadful.
i would think that coastal conditions didn't help the BM and i'm sure it will tidy up pretty well, but never let anyone tell you a harley is poor quality.

.... interestingly - the harley was a 95 with 140000kms on it and was pristine...almost showroom.
The BM is the exact same age and year and looks pretty dreadful.
But I bet the BM didn't get the obligatory 4hrs polishing after each ride like the RK has probably had all its life :)

Nice find there Phil.

Have a look your self ;)

Rear shocks for 1100's are like hens teeth though these days.

Have a look your self ;)

Rear shocks for 1100's are like hens teeth though these days.

I'm after a new bicycle Paul, be a love, keep an eye out and let me know if one comes up would you (size med. or 54cm). Ta. :D

I'm after a waterproof smartphone holder Paul , so if you wouldn't mind emailing me if one shows up.
Thanks poppet. XX

I'm after a new bicycle Paul, be a love, keep an eye out and let me know if one comes up would you (size med. or 54cm). Ta. :D
I'll get some extra Andrex in for arse wiping too :D

I'm after a waterproof smartphone holder Paul , so if you wouldn't mind emailing me if one shows up.
Thanks poppet. XX
I'll keep an eye out lovey x :D

Have you missed yours?
No, yes.... Yes, no, no, yes.... erm I don't know.

In all honesty if I'd have kept it I doubt I would have riden it now the 12LC is in the garage. The grin factor the 1200 has given far out weighs any rose tinted nostalgia that may have been lurking.

The 1100 was (and still is) a fantastic bike, but I have no regrets moving on :)

No, yes.... Yes, no, no, yes.... erm I don't know.

In all honesty if I'd have kept it I doubt I would have riden it now the 12LC is in the garage. The grin factor the 1200 has given far out weighs any rose tinted nostalgia that may have been lurking.

The 1100 was (and still is) a fantastic bike, but I have no regrets moving on :)

At least you're not completely decided so that's good :)

I have no doubt the new GSA is awesome

That bike of yours looks perfectly acceptable for a well used GS.
Dont worry just ride the damn thing and give it a biannual clean.
Have a look at www.trademe.co.nz as 1100GS bits pop up every now and then and I think Aussies can still sign up.

Adrian

If that's "Tatty" then I don't know what my 97 R1100GS is...super tatty? Your 1100GS looks in very decent condition, well done and enjoy it!

I bought a supposed 'good condition' rear shock for my 1100 - it was worse than the '94 shock I was looking to replace. I then tried to get my rear rebuilt (requires a valve brazing into the shock body) but the damping adjuster was seized (not fixable) and the damper rod scored (an extra £80 or so).

I gave up on old shocks and bought a new Hyperpro - like having a new bike.

Nice looking bike Phil.......just take that cat out and stick in in the dishwasher and it'll be a lovely bike :)

spent a few hours titivating and tuning it...seems the cutting out was because the engine tune was so far out i'm surprised it ran.

right hand throttle body must be leaking a bit of air cos the BBS is right in to get a balance on the manometer,
reset the TPS to .375V - there is no lambda, just a CO pot.

that means there is no cat ,the exhaust just has baffles in it - the whole thing is as rusty as an old horseshoe

spent a few hours titivating and tuning it...seems the cutting out was because the engine tune was so far out i'm surprised it ran.

right hand throttle body must be leaking a bit of air cos the BBS is right in to get a balance on the manometer,
reset the TPS to .375V - there is no lambda, just a CO pot.

that means there is no cat ,the exhaust just has baffles in it - the whole thing is as rusty as an old horseshoe

Could be that someone has tried to balance the throttle bodies using the stops rather than the BBS's?...

Also worth checking that the BBS ports are clear (remove the screws and squirt carb cleaner through with a rag in TB) - they can get gunged up.

Back
Top Bottom