More ABS questions

codcutter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having finally got my arse in gear to get the 1150 ready for action (been sat for 2 years:blast)
Fluids etc changed (not brakes)
Took it out for a quick spin, abs lights went out as they should................ then when /after using brake/s rapid alternate flashing of both lights, according to manual one or both circuits on residual braking.

However, when back home
Turn ignition on
Lights as normal..... lower light solid/top light flashing
Without starting bike
touch either brake lever servo kicks in, then servo pump keeps going (and reverts to both lights flashing rapidly)

Tried a search for this one, but no luck

Easy fix or servo removal???

Any answers (and piss taking) gratefully received:thumb2

Having finally got my arse in gear to get the 1150 ready for action (been sat for 2 years:blast)
Fluids etc changed (not brakes)
Took it out for a quick spin, abs lights went out as they should................ then when /after using brake/s rapid alternate flashing of both lights, according to manual one or both circuits on residual braking.

However, when back home
Turn ignition on
Lights as normal..... lower light solid/top light flashing
Without starting bike
touch either brake lever servo kicks in, then servo pump keeps going (and reverts to both lights flashing rapidly)

Tried a search for this one, but no luck

Easy fix or servo removal???

Any answers (and piss taking) gratefully received:thumb2

I take it you did take the tank off and refill with new fluid then bleed the entire system?

John

My 2004 1150 GS started doing this trick yesterday, so I'll be following this thread closely. Other threads mention ignition wiring problems a possible cause ?? Considering taking my ABS out completely as suggested by some people.

All I've done to the brakes so far is to fit new pads all round

In that case change the fluid before you go any further. Once you have the tank off it's not hard to do. There is a thread on here somewhere with instructions.

John

did your bike fire up ok after sitting for 2x years ive just taken mine off the road till next year just wondering did you have blocked injectors cause of out rubbish petrol ?

did your bike fire up ok after sitting for 2x years ive just taken mine off the road till next year just wondering did you have blocked injectors cause of out rubbish petrol ?

Whats that got to do with the brakes?.

Fired up first time, I just put a gallon of fresh petrol in with the old

Whats that got to do with the brakes?.

Absolutely nothing, but happy to answer:D

In that case change the fluid before you go any further. Once you have the tank off it's not hard to do. There is a thread on here somewhere with instructions.

John

Been searching for that thread most of the afternoon, still haven't found it:blast:blast:blast

Non-Servo ABS

Sorry to cut in ,but is there a similar link covering bleeding a non-servo ABS system?

I have alternate flashing lights all the time. Have tried the re-set via the diagnostic plug several times.
This gets the lights flashing correctly but they revert to alternate as soon as brakes applied or even sooner.

Have bled the brakes regularly, but not the ABS unit, so this may well be my fault. 2000 GS1150, 50,000 miles.

Any help much appreciated

graham

Sorry to cut in ,but is there a similar link covering bleeding a non-servo ABS system?

I have alternate flashing lights all the time. Have tried the re-set via the diagnostic plug several times.
This gets the lights flashing correctly but they revert to alternate as soon as brakes applied or even sooner.

Have bled the brakes regularly, but not the ABS unit, so this may well be my fault. 2000 GS1150, 50,000 miles.

Any help much appreciated

graham

It's a conventional bleed using the brake levers to pump fluid through to the calipers. (unless you have some fancy pressure bleeding kit) The modulator has two bleed nipples on the top of it the left is for the rear brake unit (HR) the right is for the front brake (VR). So if you think you have air in the modulator. Bleed to the modulator first then the calipers.

If bleeding doesn't cure your problem and your feeling adventurous this link starts out with similar symptoms as your bike, but shows how to dismantle and repair the modular.

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/BMW ABS II D&A.pdf

Thanks very much for that Ian, just what I was looking for.

I had always assumed that bleeding changed all the fluid in the system so will have a look at the pistons like the man says. I'll probably wait until the end of
my main riding season in case I cock it up completely!

Thanks again

graham

Had a go at my hydro unit today (02 1150GS). The pistons seemed free enough. Re-assembled it, bleed the unit and callipers and still the pump was spinning away -with the ignition off. Had spent all day yesterday looking for an ignition/loose wire fault to no avail.
I then dismantled the wires and relay unit under the black plastic cover (at the side of the pump). Nothing untoward. Re-assembled it and the fault seemed to be cured. Must have tapped the unit or moved a wire (by accident).
Though I'm not that confident in the fault not re-occurring again.
Probably look at 'taking the shit out' (unquote).
See Tsiklonaut/Margus's thread 'ABS toast' 2013 for more info.

Had a go at my hydro unit today (02 1150GS). The pistons seemed free enough. Re-assembled it, bleed the unit and callipers and still the pump was spinning away -with the ignition off. Had spent all day yesterday looking for an ignition/loose wire fault to no avail.
I then dismantled the wires and relay unit under the black plastic cover (at the side of the pump). Nothing untoward. Re-assembled it and the fault seemed to be cured. Must have tapped the unit or moved a wire (by accident).
Though I'm not that confident in the fault not re-occurring again.
Probably look at 'taking the shit out' (unquote).
See Tsiklonaut/Margus's thread 'ABS toast' 2013 for more info.

Yours is a different unit to codcutters. The pre 2002 units are far simpler (just abs no servo), with the relay you mention under the side panel. The servo/abs doesn't have the relay.

Back
Top Bottom