K1600 GT Brake Pads

FBF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

will try and keep this as simple as possible
BMW Front Brake Pads £70 a pair
Brembo Sintered Pads £35.00 a pair

Which ones should I get ? BMW dealer recommends the BMW pads as they meet BMW stringent quality standards and specification.

BMW dealer recommends the BMW pads as they meet BMW stringent quality standards and specification.

:jes

They taking the piss or what ?.

you may feel like reminding them about the current RT problem, and the GS oil seal thing.

Faced with exactly this issue a few weeks ago. I think the bmw pads worked out at about £135 for the pair....plus of course the fitting. They are Brembo Calipers FFS!

I fitted the Brembo pads and have now done about 500 miles on them. I think the material is slightly harder than the OEM pads so at higher speeds the brakes are completely fade free. Occasionally in town traffic the brakes rumble very slightly just before stopping but really that's exactly the same as they do on the fast Porsches so I am untroubled.
I take on the warranty issue but bmw would have to prove that the pads had a bearing on whatever component had failed so I think that's a tenuous augment.

Fitting the pads really is a ½ hour job even if, like me, you hadn't done the job on this bike previously.
Give it a go. And brink the costs down just a little bit.

Hi Max

thanks for your response,I have been offered choice of Brembo SINTERED or Carbon Ceramic with the supplier recommending the former. Which type did you install ?.

I asked the dealer to persuade me that spending 100% more on Genuine BMW brake pads and all he could say was that the BMW pads are designed to work well with the K1600 and are manufactured to BMW stringent standards and that 3rd party pads may not work as well and could cause early wear on the disks or not perform as efficiently as genuine parts.

I am not entirely convinced of the dealers argument as I have had several failures of K1600 switchgear, Waterpumps and two pairs of boots one of which is barley 3 months old and a couple of pairs of Double R gloves. Judging by my experience it would appear that BMW have issues with quality control with some of their products although with the exception of the gloves they have honoured the warranty.

The problem with the warranty is that you will be starting on the back foot.

If you have (for example) a snag with the discs warping, the dealer will (quite rightly) challenge a claim if you have not fitted BMW parts - how can they be expected to warranty the effect an after market part has had on their's?

I used the Sintered Brembo pads.
Lets be sensible. BMW don't actually manufacture pads themselves, they simply set the specs to a 3rd party. I don't know exactly who makes their pads but they are just pads. As with performance cars, you use different pads for different applications, Road, fast road, race.
As I said earlier the Brembo Sintered pads are probably a little harder than standard so perform very slightly better with hard use than the standard but really the difference is minimal. With regards to warping discs, I have never experienced warped discs on a bike, but have been through several sets on cars. Discs warp when they overheat. The airflow on bikes usually ensures this is very unlikely to happen, also as bikes are so much lighter I suspect they never generate the same heat as cars do.
Just My View.....
But has anyone out there ever fitted a branded pad and had a problem as a result?

But has anyone out there ever fitted a branded pad and had a problem as a result?

No, but I had at least ten pairs of OEM discs replaced under warranty until they eventually worked out it was a deformed disc carrier and replaced the wheel and cured the problem. This carried on way past the 2 year warranty - can you imagine them entertaining any of that if I'd decided to save a few quid whilst in warranty to buy aftermarket pads?

Mike,
I assume that the first discs warped when you were still on the original pads.
Yours is a fairly unique case and I think to infer that anything other than OEM parts is a false economy would be verging on the paranoid side of cautious!
My pads were worn and I needed a new set fitted quickly. The Brembo pads work just fine but the bike is going to BMW next week to have a new gearbox fitted under warranty and for a service. If they even comment on the non oem pads I will post back up here.

No, but I had at least ten pairs of OEM discs replaced under warranty until they eventually worked out it was a deformed disc carrier and replaced the wheel and cured the problem.

They changed the discs ten times before figuring out it wasn't the discs?

Back
Top Bottom