Horizon Motorcycle Tours

DJS33

Reaction score
Any one here used this company?

I am looking at one of their tours in Europe but haven't come across anyone I know who's been with them.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pack up and go.
You don't need to pay someone to accompany you.
Plot a course, make a list of places to visit and ride off into the sunset.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

As said just pack up and go!, we are currently sitting in Freiburg tonight after riding the B500 down from Baden Baden , great roads although wet today, but all routes done by me, wouldn't have it any other way and certainly wouldn't pay someone to do it!!, part of the fun for me is the research and route planning.

I'm riding the continent as much as the uk for work, when done I often just use the compass thing on sat nav to head in the general direction of Calais and make the most of being paid to have trips abroad.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

Any one here used this company?

I am looking at one of their tours in Europe but haven't come across anyone I know who's been with them.

Any help appreciated.

I went on their black forest tour last year - had a fantastic time, good value for money with lots of riding. Had such a good time just booked to do a 11 day trip on the "all mountains tour" leave on the 4th August. Any questions feel free to PM me

Malc

As said just pack up and go!............ part of the fun for me is the research and route planning.

+1 :thumb

I have to agree, we are not talking about going into wild / dangerous / unexplored regions here, for the most part the natives speak your language, all signs use the Alphabet we know and love so no problems navigating with nothing more than the name of the next town on your route.

In the internet age where you can get great advice about the roads to ride and places to stay for free from forums and trip sites, it really would be hard to make a mess of it, a couple of hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon could have a weeks trip sorted.

I do wonder why so many people pay an extra £1,000 just for someone to book them a crossing, a couple of hotels and throw a couple of routes in Tyre, especially when 99% of them probably have to do a far more difficult job 40+ hours per week.

I suppose if you really have no spare time to organize anything, or want to have some "buddies" for the trip then this may work, but I would rather choose my buddies, not because I know I can get on with them, just I am experienced in how to argue with them :D

Did the B500 for the last two years - fantastic road (36 deg C last year)
Stayed in Hotel Waldachtal not far from Freudenstadt - deal on eBay and used this as a base.
Dead easy to tour around this area - just plot a route map or sat nav and go - you will have a ball!
Hope your weather improved there.

As said just pack up and go!, we are currently sitting in Freiburg tonight after riding the B500 down from Baden Baden , great roads although wet today, but all routes done by me, wouldn't have it any other way and certainly wouldn't pay someone to do it!!, part of the fun for me is the research and route planning.

I went with them on Mini Alps Tour few weeks ago. Great time met good people and had a bit of laugh in the evenings with fellow bikers.

all mountain trip looks good

I was looking to book on their trip as it covers most of what I fancied this year but have gone down the route of tent, bag , and stove, organised trips have some good points, depending on your perspective, if shit happens your not in a ditch on your own, for one. However, it can take a few days to sort the pecking order out and who to avoid, even riding with "mates" can lead to frustration! Best of luck with which ever road you go down.:blagblah

Did the mini alps tour too with Horizon. Great routes and I thought good value. One great benefit of these tours is meeting up with others and sharing the experience. Good crack..!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First things first.......Marmalade you lucky sod.

Second.....guided tours can be the right thing for the right person. Normally a reasonable group of people with common interest to chat to over nice dinner in a good restaurant near or in a nice hotel. As said well supported and organised.

Third.....guided tours are stuck with people you didn't know and don't like, being told where to eat, where to stay and when to stop. losing that sense of free wheeling independence.

I agree with Rasher much of the fun is actually organising and planning where, what and when. Though I would imagine in no where near as much detail as him, but probably takes me as long; thats why is so good reading peoples reports it gives you ideas. I have previously annoyed some of the sages on here with my technique for route planning while away. Look at a map, have a rough idea of where you want to go and be, then join the squiggly roads together.

My first ever trip away was aged 19 with the then girlfriend for two weeks to somewhere in the Alps, we were so naive. Camping with all the kit, the bike was so overladen it could wheeley going over tarmac strips. It was bloody brilliant and has been the base for all my other trips 30 years on. Get on the bike and ride.

As far as prep goes basically take half the clothes you were going to and allow twice the spending, you might not use it but nice to be able to. Try and take a couple of credit cards kept in separate bags/pockets.

Go explore. Whatever way you choose and enjoy.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Have now booked the " mountains all the way" tour.

I'll be glad of any feedback from the 'Mountains all the way' tour, was thinking of doing this tour next year. :thumb2

It basically covers all I was planning to revisit myself. :D

Just got back from our 9 day trip, what worked so well for us this year was the flexibility pre-planned tours lack.

We had the first nights hotel booked, but not the second, day one was all motorway and regardless of weather we wanted it out of the way, day three we were meeting others so we had two days riding to do the bits in between, day two was much better than the weather forecast so we made great progress and stopped when we had enough.

This left us an easy day three, we therefore decided to run up a dead end valley on out list for later in the week as it was not much out of our way and the weather was perfect, we also took the decision to press on in the morning with minimal stopping so we could have out lunch at the lake at the end of this valley.

This flexibility is what I like, on a planned trip I would be doing the routes as laid out, stopping where told, taking excursions where planned, even with Hotels pre-booked you can alter your routes to suit how you feel and what the weather is doing.

We also had the bonus of meeting some old friends and making some new ones, but could pick and choose if we wanted to ride as a group, meet at a certain spot or do our own thing, as Mrs rasher was on her first trip we just did our own thing at our own pace and then joined the other for food and drink in the evening.

I suppose if totally solo I would be more inclined to join another group - but probably prefer to go with biking friends, or even meet similar minded folk from a forum like this to have the support of another rider (or more) but keep a bit more flexibility.

You could also just follow Wapping who seems to like herding GS's around Europe.

Back
Top Bottom