petrol tank

big mac

Reaction score
went to my local last night parked the bike up walked away herd a crash turned round and my 1100 had fell on a hog .
no damage to the other bike but put a fuck off dent in my tank.
got home and straight on ebay found one tank and its black . my bike is a 1999 gs 1100 with a metal tank and the one from ebay is a 1995 will it be plastic and will my sender and fuel cap fit
just want to make sure its a straight swap
cheers dean
has anyone got a tank for sale ?

I think you will need the rubber strips that mount to front of the tank as these are different for the plastic tank. If you can still use your bike don't rush into buying one as they do come up pretty cheap or put a add in the wanted section

As above, the rubber trim strips that fit between the tank and the silver plastic 'cheek pieces' before the beak are different on the plastic tank. Your existing internals and fuel cap will fit fine but you'll need the correct six m4 screws to fasten the fuel pump mounting plate to the tank (the plastic tanks have threaded bushes rather than studs).

Think long and hard before buying an old plastic tank - they are prone to paint bubbling as they are very slightly fuel porous and the paint lifts from the tank. They also swell with age and end up not fitting quite right. My '94 plastic tank had both these faults and I changed for a steel tank for this reason. They are also prone to having the internal coating de laminating and peeling away (which blocks the fuel filter and exacerbates the previous two issues). You'll be very lucky if the '95 tank you're looking at doesn't have one or all of these faults.

On the plus side, they are a couple of litres bigger.

cheers for that think I will put the tank cover on and keep looking on ebay
and put a add on wanted
thanks both

Just curious here, but what 'kind' of dent did you put in your tank? Does it have any 'creases' in it, or is it sort of large and smooth?

Reason I ask is thart some years back, on my first GS, I had a problem with the tank breathing. Basically, it didn't, 'cos the breather pipe was blocked. This resulted in the pump causing a vaccuum in the tank, which eventually resulted in a dent, just above and behind the left-hand lobe.

I came out of a shop to find it there, and thought at first some passing scrote had done it. But the alarm hadn't been triggered...

I rode down to Devils Bridge, it was a hot sunny day, and ofter a couple of hours parked up I heard a metallic 'pop', and the dent had gone. Pressure building up in the tank due to heat had pushed it back out.

So you might be able to get the dent in your tank 'blown' out, if it isn't too servere.

Just a thought...

Just curious here, but what 'kind' of dent did you put in your tank? Does it have any 'creases' in it, or is it sort of large and smooth?

Reason I ask is thart some years back, on my first GS, I had a problem with the tank breathing. Basically, it didn't, 'cos the breather pipe was blocked. This resulted in the pump causing a vaccuum in the tank, which eventually resulted in a dent, just above and behind the left-hand lobe.

I came out of a shop to find it there, and thought at first some passing scrote had done it. But the alarm hadn't been triggered...

I rode down to Devils Bridge, it was a hot sunny day, and ofter a couple of hours parked up I heard a metallic 'pop', and the dent had gone. Pressure building up in the tank due to heat had pushed it back out.

So you might be able to get the dent in your tank 'blown' out, if it isn't too servere.

Just a thought...

Be very very careful blowing out a dent. The tank will try to expand in other places apart from the dent. It will try and "spread its wings" when pressurised.
I tried this on my old R80GS and it didn't look good doing it nor did it fix the dents.
Panel beaters glue stcks onto the dent then pull the dent.
You could try a suction cup but they only work on slight dents.

Adrian

the dent has pushed the badge in and there's a small crease on the badge recess
the paint has cracked at the front off the tank . going to take it to my mate at the body shop to see what he thinks . was concerned that any coating on the inside of the tank will be cracked too

the dent has pushed the badge in and there's a small crease on the badge recess
the paint has cracked at the front off the tank . going to take it to my mate at the body shop to see what he thinks . was concerned that any coating on the inside of the tank will be cracked too

Yep that will most likely have happened too. It has on my 1150 GS.
I am ignoring it at present till I next take the tank off:(
I know it is not good for pump.

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom