Oilhead Clutch Plate / Inpput Shaft SPLINE WEAR

sykospain

Reaction score
Hi all,
New member Alan here - and dang me if I haven't had the bad luck to just miss joining in celeb1000's thread whereby he explained how he devised and supplied earlier this year a set of spacers for the standard clutch friction plate on 6-speed models of the Oilhead, effectively solving the factory design fault whereby the plate only engages 2/3s of the way along the input shaft splines, resulting in premature spline / friction plate failure.
Anybody know if he can still be contacted to see whether he'll commission another batch of spacers and bolts or rivets ? The advantage of his idea is that when a friction-plate swapout is required, one can use a standard OEM plate and modify it again.
There's a firm on the West Coast of the USA which is now supplying a redesigned input shaft with much longer splines, but that costs a grand in dollars, and would involve a complete strip-down of the entire gearbox in order to replace the input shaft. Also, the newly slimmed-down and superb wrenching expert but foul-mouthed Chris Harris in New Hampshire at Team Monkey Productions will arrange the supply from a pal of his of an alternative solution - a modified clutch friction plate but that also is expensive - around 600 bucks. So - tough when a clutch plate needs renewing !
As he says, our money-grubbing pals in Berlin refuse to offer a solution from their end in the Spandau factory.
My Rockster has 33K miles on the clock and is already clunking noticeably when shifting gears - a precursor to spline failure as above. Nevertheless, it's a superb quality example of mid 2000s Beemer production when their bikes were made to a quality standard, not down to a price as applies nowadays - and overall it's a fab ride. Mine has the expensive German Gimbel GmbH half-fairing which transforms the handling and aerodynamics.
ALAN in s.e. Spain

Last edited:
esmir on advrider has a clutch spacer cnc machined that allows 6mm more engagement of clutch spline. he gets $90 US for spacer and rivets. all success stories so far. cele0001 is his logon name. he is in Jacksonville, Fl.

Thanks for that Bill but Esmir seems to have moved on from that Clutch Friction Plate spacer/screws/rivets kit project. Because the AVRIDER thread is now closed, I can't seem to be able to send him a PM asking whether he plans to organise another dozen or so such kits from his machine shop. Even though I log into my a/c there. But maybe I'm just being thick.
I presume you've already seen Chris Harris's short U-Toob video succinctly highlighting this design fault:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkHJMw-jZ5A
And what really p*sses me off about this, is that the Quandt gang in Berlin Spandau have never ever offered any form of remedy for this almost universal failing of their pesky close-ratio 6-speed gearbox clutch-input-shaft, on the lines of this other apparently abandoned project by a guy in Ontario:-
http://www.sunshinecoast.ca/bmw/InputShaft.pdf
So we all have to carry on clunking and slopping about when changing gear and await the inevitable dreaded grinding sound as our bike's drive spins into stripped ineffectiveness and we coast to an unexpected stop by the roadside.
Regards,
ALAN in s.e. Spain

My 1200 rattles in neutral and has some drivetrain backlash. The latter hasn't changed in 18000 miles but I'm sure it wasn't clattering when I bought the bike.
Is there a similar mod for the 1200 or am I simply going to have to suck up the cost of a new input shaft and gearbox strip ?
To repeat is there a clutch spline mod for the 1200?

clutch spacer kit

My 1200 rattles in neutral and has some drivetrain backlash. The latter hasn't changed in 18000 miles but I'm sure it wasn't clattering when I bought the bike.
Is there a similar mod for the 1200 or am I simply going to have to suck up the cost of a new input shaft and gearbox strip ?
To repeat is there a clutch spline mod for the 1200?

esmir just sent me a clutch spacer with rivets last week. you will want to go into cele0001 profile and send him a pm or simply post your problem on his original thread and wait for a response. if that doesn't work, post a fresh thread asking for help in contacting esmir. the piece is cnc machines and looks like a piece of fine metal. good luck.............btw, i think bruno has a pre-built clutch plate with the spacer built in, but you'll need to wait in line and i think it's about $600 US. good luck, buddy.

Hello people.
Just wanted to chime in and address the issue. I am currently not planning on making any more spacers. I am however planning to attempt the "third option" by moving the clutch plate carrier (spacer ) and making a custom (shorter) clutch push rod. This would make the modification "plug and play". There is the issue of starter depth engagement (before somebody points out), I will just have to see what happens. It is R&D after all.
There is no timeline on this project since I am a little worn on taking the transmission out and putting it back in, and to tell you the truth I just want to ride and enjoy the summer a little. There is currently 30 pieces out there and I think 3 or 4 have been installed. As I always point out there is really no long term data out there so it would be very irresponsible of me to make claims, that I cant support. I have done it to my bike because I noticed wear.
Technically, if the spacer works then the "third option" would work better since it moves the clutch center-line onto the shaft. It would be more expensive (two parts).
My parts are made for 6 speed transmission with hydraulically actuated clutch found on 1100S (I think 99-) and all 1150s. There are European 850's that have the same transmission but we don't have them in the US so I don't know. 1200 chromeheads have the same transmission but 1200 hexheads DO NOT.

I will check this thread for questions but generally ADV thread is the one that I watch closely.

Maybe the CAD file could be posted. Only an idea I don't mean to demand it's made into freeware

Oilhead bikes 6-speed clutch hub / inpput shaft spline premature wear

Maybe the CAD file could be posted. Only an idea I don't mean to demand it's made into freeware

Whew ! So glad that you have returned to this thread, Esmir - heartfelt thanks buddy. I fully understand your wish to now instead ride and give wrenching a rest. But it seems to me that your original hub-spacer idea is the simplest and best - a truly value-for-money esoteric solution to a problem that those money-grabbing Car Division suits in Spandau who now run BMW Motorrad should have solved years ago with a free modification. I have the utmost contempt for them and all their works.
Having got pie-eyed with a Spandau assembly-line mechanic in a Berlin "Stube" a short while ago, I can vouch for the fact that many of those guys feel the same.

Please reconsider your plan to abandon the sourcing and supply of spacer-kits. Maybe in the 'off'-season you could return to it ? Few of us 6-speeders can afford the Canadian longer-splined shaft - not only for its prohibitive cost but also that it requires a full gearbox tear-down - hours of painstaking fiddling after splitting the transmission.

Your slave-cylinder push-rod mod clearly has the potential for being the most elegant solution, even with the starter-engagement complication - but surely the economical hub-spacer idea should be adopted as soon as possible by as many concerned 6-speeders as can be thought of as conscientious owners.
Best wishes and enjoy the ride-outs !
ALAN in s.e. Spain

Sorry to butt-in to this interesting thread, but this spline wear seems to be a particularly American problem. I remember when ADv rider forum, years ago, had lots of threads on this problem, whilst I never heard anyone having this as a regular problem in the UK.

I may be wrong of course, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I am, but I just thought I'd mention it.

After watching the video, its a disgrace that bmw have not solved the problem or modified the shaft on such a popular range of supposedly 'quality' machines.

BMW have an elegant clutch slave cylinder and pushrod but in so doing can't have an input shaft nose bearing. The VW Beetle clutch is (should be!) stronger than the 60's vintage originals but the shaft and friction area is really very small for a 100+ bhp twin.

Longer shaft does not exist. The guy that tried to do a run of 10 never got enough interested people. His handle is GSAddict on adv and other bmw forums. One of the most knowledgable people I met on forums(not only on bikes). I don't know about worn shafts being only us issue, maybe Steptoe can chime in. If there are any in the UK he would know..
I don't want to take the credit for the idea. I saw Chris's Harris video and though that 600 was a little steep.

Mine failed, but that was after 100,000 very hard miles commuting into central London

You're right Esmir - I got a three-word reply from the guy when I asked him whether he'd carried through the project to a production run. There is indeed no other solution to this problem other than the one you devised and produced earlier this year. PLEASE return to it sometime in the near-ish future !
Regards,
ALAN - al@alansykes.com

Sorry just saw this post. I don't have cad files. Parts are actually made on conventional lathe and holes drilled on DRO machine. I have a prototype and a clutch hub as a master piece that I compare them against. I don't make the parts myself.

I replaced mine at 35k when I had a bearing failure in the gearbox and noticed it was well worn, clutch centre plate splines had almost gone also.
What does the 'Clutch reinforcement ring' do that Clark's BMW are selling on EBay?

Back
Top Bottom