BMW MOTORRAD NAVIGATOR V - FIRMWARE 2.8 ISSUE (PROBLEM)

frcastro

Reaction score
I have the Navigator V and I having a big issue with battery discharge.
The GPS is OFF (not in stand-by) and the battery completely discharge in 3 hours.
I start having this issue right after the firmware software update to 2.8 version in July of 2014.
Using Garmin express I re-install the 2.8 again and reset the GPS to factory defaults.
I change the battery with a friend and the problem continue occurring with the other battery.
I assume the problem is not in the battery and it is really in the unit but I have a doubt about the 2.8 firmware software.
I do not know how to downgrade the firmware to previously firmware version.
Any body has using 2.8 version with this problem?

I rarely use the Nav V away from my bike, so have no idea if this is an issue or not. But my impression is that the battery capacity is not great as Garmin/BMW do not expect the device to be used other than when in a charging cradle.

You could try looking here:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

Before software (firmware 2.80) update the battery never discharge with the unit OFF but now the unit discharge in OFF condition. When we use the unit only using its battery the available time is exactly BMW specification i.e. around 4 hours or to be more precise in between 3 and 3.5 hours never more than this. I just talk with Garmin and they told me that is not possible to return the unit to the old version of firmware. They also told me that it seams a hardware problem and asked me to open a RMA and send the unit to be repaired.

IMHO You would be wiser to stay away from firmware upgrades.

After my last one in April, the unit stopped working completely and had to be replaced, too ten weeks.

I have good news in discovering the problem: I took another NAV5 from my friend and I did the same update on the firmware moving to the newest version i.e 2.80 and everything works fine. Conclusion: Hardware failure at the NAV5. I will send it to Garmin now. No problem with the 2.80 version.

Just to confirm what the OP has discovered: I have updated to 2.8 on a Nav V with no problems at all. His sudden battery failure is hardware related it seems.

Yes.... hardware issue.
Just to confirm what the OP has discovered: I have updated to 2.8 on a Nav V with no problems at all. His sudden battery failure is hardware related it seems.

Back
Top Bottom