Help with Sat Nav please!

Rabbit Leader

I've just bought a year old 1150 adventure and it came with the Motorrad (street pilot III) Sat Nav.
The seller gave me no discs/download cable or anything (except the guide book) never having it before I didn't know...

A GS friend with a non BMW street pilot III used his USB cable to down load the whole of Europe onto my card... but it won't work!
The unit works as it did before but says "Can't unlock maps" when you turn it on. It shows Roads etc, but no detail.

I suspect that BMW units have some sort of encryption code built into them to make you only buy their discs (my card works fine with everything he downloaded in his machine)

Help!

Is my only option to purchase more (BMW) discs???

Best option

Get the discs fro the seller. They're almost certainly pulling a fast one. If you don't get the discs any updates will almost certainly be problematic if the update requirements for the Nav ii is the same for the 2610.

Garmin are quite cunning. Maps are unlocked to specific units by using unlock codes. Each unit comes with an unlock code when you buy it. Your card works in your friend's unit because the maps are unlocked to his.

I believe that Garmin will issue you with a second set of unlock codes for software which you own if you're going to use it in another GPS unit which you also own and which is registered to you. Other than that, you could buy a copy of City Navigator, but it's not cheap.

You will get replies posting this problem here -

But you may get a better response posting a GPS problem in the GPS thread -

;)

John Armstrong said:
.... They're almost certainly pulling a fast one.
I'm probably being naiive here, but what advantage can there be for the seller in holding onto the disks, when he hasn't got the unit?

Personally, I think it's more a case of "cock up" than "conspiracy" but it would be interesting to see what the seller says when you ring him.

I agree. I can't think of why he would want to keep them. I think he just can't find them...

If I did buy the City Navigator Discs from BMW... would it all be ok then.... and I'd know I was in my road when outside my house :)

Amazed at the immediate response to my question.... Very impressed with the site :) :) :)

EJ said:
I'm probably being naiive here, but what advantage can there be for the seller in holding onto the disks, when he hasn't got the unit?

Personally, I think it's more a case of "cock up" than "conspiracy" but it would be interesting to see what the seller says when you ring him.

Conspiracy say's he's bought a USA 2610 / SP3 and needs the disks, as otherwise how does he upgrade the maps? Not that I would do that of course, me with a UK SP3 and a USA 2610.

Back
Top Bottom