1150 Virgin.

GedJack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning folks,
Please bear with me as I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot before.
I have owned two 1200 GS in the past, the
last one being a twin cam. I was very pleased with both of them.

Circumstances have changed and I just feel I have got an itch that need a scratch. I am considering buying a 1150 GS. I have never ridden one yet, and you always get people saying the 1150 is better than the 1200 and vicky verky !!!

What are they like to live with and ride, what are the main little niggles
and faults ? What should I look out for when going to buy one ?

Cheers Steve :thumb

Morning folks,
Please bear with me as I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot before.
I have owned two 1200 GS in the past, the
last one being a twin cam. I was very pleased with both of them.

Circumstances have changed and I just feel I have got an itch that need a scratch. I am considering buying a 1150 GS. I have never ridden one yet, and you always get people saying the 1150 is better than the 1200 and vicky verky !!!

What are they like to live with and ride, what are the main little niggles
and faults ? What should I look out for when going to buy one ?

Cheers Steve :thumb

I'm fortunate enough to have both a 2001 GS owned from new & a 2012 GSA TC again owned from new. Love riding them both, the 1200 feels faster but all the 1150 needs is few more revs, a lower gear and it will still hustle along.

I've only had one major problem with the 1150, a fried wiring loom in 2008 while in Garmisch for the BMW event. 104,000 miles and still on the original clutch and bearings. Home serviced since 24,000 miles. Only standard service items, one new battery and a few sets of brake pads used.

Main problems/expense seems to be bearings and clutch but both can be replaced by a good home mechanic or if not so confident someone like Steptoe, your local dealer or independent.

I have owned 1100, 1150 and 1200 GS and GSA.....

Whilst the 1200 is undoubtedly more powerful and lighter, the other bikes are (in my view) more robust, easier to work on by amateurs and have more character. As such, my current 1150GSA is my bike of choice; I could afford to change up, even to a new WC, but won't......

Problems are not too common, with the occasional clutch, hall sensor and starter motor going west - all of which can be replaced DIY..... The final drive is a much easier beast to sort too....

Nevertheless, as ever, it's horses for courses......

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Cheers

I've had the 1200gs and now have the 1150gs. The 1150 wins for me. It's less common in good condition and far more robust than the 1200. The 1200 is more refined but it's finish corrodes to easy. Also I feel the 1150's hold prices better than the 12 at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had all flavours as well. But currently running an 1100GS. Don't discount this bike, I prefer it to my 1150 which in turn I preferred to the 1200.

I had a 1200 last year and sold it as I was not using it and rode my f650 instead. I didnt enjoy riding it, just could not put my finger on why so sold it. A couple of months ago I needed a larger bike as I was doing more miles to work, never even considered another GS until i rode a 1150 and now have one. For me it is so much more enjoyable to ride and if I am honest it is what I was expecting the 1200 to be!

Oh and have also sold the 650 as I realised I would not be using that again now I have the 1150

Test ride one, and make it a PROPER test ride, at least two hours and a mix of roads.

The 12s are (possibly) blander and more like 'other' bikes, whereas the 1150 has a bit more character.......it can take a short while to gel with it but when you find the sweet spots and get used to the more agricultural feel of it, you'll love it.

I could have changed to a 1200 last year, but chose to stay with an 1150GSA......there are so many things you can do to them to make the ergonomics absolutely perfect, and they feel far more solid to me than a basic 1200.

Absolutely love mine, and genuinely wouldn't change it for anything else at the moment......if I won a brand spanker 12 toilet GSA next week, I'd sell it and keep using my trusty lebbenfiddy :thumb2

1150 vs 1200

Got a GSA 1150 kept it for 6. Years and decided to get a 1200 only kept it a year
The 1200 was lighter faster
That's all it didn't have the WOW factor for me
So back to a 1150 GSA SE agricultural tractor I love it

Test ride one, and make it a PROPER test ride, at least two hours and a mix of roads.

The 12s are (possibly) blander and more like 'other' bikes, whereas the 1150 has a bit more character.......it can take a short while to gel with it but when you find the sweet spots and get used to the more agricultural feel of it, you'll love it.

I could have changed to a 1200 last year, but chose to stay with an 1150GSA......there are so many things you can do to them to make the ergonomics absolutely perfect, and they feel far more solid to me than a basic 1200.

Absolutely love mine, and genuinely wouldn't change it for anything else at the moment......if I won a brand spanker 12 toilet GSA next week, I'd sell it and keep using my trusty lebbenfiddy :thumb2

According to the WC section, a 2 hour test ride is nowhere near a proper test :rob

I'm with Johnny, they are a donkey, don't do it :D

Back
Top Bottom