excess shunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

namesarefortombstones

Reaction score
i have what i consider to be excessive shunt in the drive line of my 1100s, clonk clonk when on and off the power, making it hard to be smooth. it shifts up and down sweetly with no abnormal noise. i had a similar problem with an old st1100 which was cured with new cush rubbers. could this be a worn drive shaft? can't find much info on the shaft itself only input splines?

The upper part of the shaft has a big, glued in rubber section that secures the 'reception' shaft from the final drive if that makes any sense:) Essentially a big cush. The shaft can become separated from the cush and cause shunt. When the lower UJ went on my 1100S it 'tinkled' when pulling away - it was really worn and had huge play but hadn't actually failed. If you wheel the bike about, engine off, backwards especially it seems, you can hear worn UJs. You can hear the lumps when they turn.

Could it also be a bit of clutch slip maybe?

Has it got the E gear of the earlier 1150 GS type bikes.

I have a bit of slop in the drive, but a guru explained something about a ramp in the selector part of the gearbox that wears because of people using the E gear at too low speed. I may not be doing his words justice, but his advice was not to worry too much.

thanks chaps, i'm in the middle of doing the paralever bearings(robbing barstewards), the shaft appears fine, looking through the filler hole in gear box the gears move in time so to speak with the shaft so i guess you may be right flipfly, no one local to compare with, guess i will go back to using the mineral oil,seems thicker.

I dont think the 1100S ever had the E gear - could be wrong though. Shunt also be down to setup/fueling problems too of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom