1150 GS Adventure (04 model) .... What battery?

thauma

Reaction score
Well, After a massive absence from riding the bike, I decided to take it out this morning.

Lots of noise, but no firing...... :-(

It did the same when I retrieved it from the MOT/Service earlier in the year, but a jump from a charger sorted the issue. So I thought they must have left the lights on....

The bike is on it's original battery, but has been on an optimate all the time it's not been used, and I have to say that this has been a godsend for prolonging the elite of the battery.

So after failing to start this morning I duly wired it up to the car, and it fired first time.......

Now this indicates to me that the battery isn't holding a(ny) charge, and unless there are any contradictions, I'm off to buy a new battery, but does the forum have any suggestions on good / cheap deals, recommended alternatives to the standard, or should I just pop down to the BMW dealer..........

Cheers

Dave#...

Well, After a massive absence from riding the bike, I decided to take it out this morning.

Lots of noise, but no firing...... :-(

It did the same when I retrieved it from the MOT/Service earlier in the year, but a jump from a charger sorted the issue. So I thought they must have left the lights on....

The bike is on it's original battery, but has been on an optimate all the time it's not been used, and I have to say that this has been a godsend for prolonging the elite of the battery.

So after failing to start this morning I duly wired it up to the car, and it fired first time.......

Now this indicates to me that the battery isn't holding a(ny) charge, and unless there are any contradictions, I'm off to buy a new battery, but does the forum have any suggestions on good / cheap deals, recommended alternatives to the standard, or should I just pop down to the BMW dealer..........

Cheers

Dave#...
Motobatt, check out evilbay.

Motobatt, check out evilbay.

Another vote for a MotoBatt.

The one for your bike (same as mine and I got a MB a couple of months back) is Part Number MB51814

They are AGM, zero maintenance and they have 2 of each terminal, so you can use one side for the starting circuit and the other terminals for auxiliaries if you want to.

My replacement Motobatt is doing fine, but it would be hard to go past the OEM Exide if you can get one for a decent price.

I would normal say use a odyssey but I was impressed with the motobattery both are AGM technology but motobattery a fraction of the price

I paid 18 quid for my odessey, that was 18 months ago.

I love a used bargain :D

Thanks for the advice and guidance. :beerjug:

Motobatt purchased from ebay, and fitted to bike.

Removed the tank, easy, changed the battery after some fiddling and adjustment to the terminals so it all tied up nicely, then put it all together again.

After much cursing and shouting the fuel lines were reconnected (the one joining the two tank lobes together was a real PITA)

Then went to start it up.

........ Battery struggled to start the bike, but eventually it caught, and ran really rough on one cylinder, with lots of coughing and spluttering.

So I easily solved the problem as I remembered about the throtle linkage thingy issue which is well documented on this forum (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e&highlight=rough+running+after+removing+tank)

after solving this the bike runs fine, but the battery was flat.

So the moral of the story is
  • believe all you read on UKGSER, as it is an awesome source of information, :beerjug::bow:thumby:
  • don't believe what it says on the battery box when it says it doesn't need charging:mad:
  • no matter how careful you are with the tank, that throttle linkage thingy could still catch you out :blast

You might want to treat yourself to some new fuel connectors from Beemer Boneyard (and replace all the fuel lines at the same time).

yhst-15102260216258_2272_420923231

Buy an extra 90º connector and it'll let you leave the cross-pipe in place, rather than having to thread it through the gap behind the alternator. Not cheap, but worth doing... :cool:

You might want to treat yourself to some new fuel connectors from Beemer Boneyard (and replace all the fuel lines at the same time).

Buy an extra 90º connector and it'll let you leave the cross-pipe in place, rather than having to thread it through the gap behind the alternator. Not cheap, but worth doing... :cool:

Wish I'd thought of that....... next time it will be worth it

Back
Top Bottom