1100/1150 rear rack strength

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know the givi top box kit includes bracing pieces that bolt to the two holes where the standard pannier rails attach, but has anybody ever heard of the rack breaking under normal road use with a laden top box? I know it is cast ally, but it seems pretty robust to me.

My rack has an aluminium extension piece and is fitted with an auxiliary tank which holds 43 litres of fuel, has coped with that fine for several years.

Rack

I have not had one break however I did have the rear frame itself work loose. Keep an eye on the bolts under the seat that secure it

I cracked mine on my 1150adv with a BMW topbox. Not under normal road conditions but hit a big enough bumps or one big one and it will break

When i bought my 1100 the Aluminium rack was cracked in 2 places i suppose broken is better discription :mad: 2 frame welds were discoverd to be cracked once it was removed. After i rewelded it it held for a year or so then needed welding again and has been fine until now the rack having cracked again. Part of the problem is the frame flexes when under load and big box of sandwhiches makes things worse so this time around i plan on bracing the frame and possibly making a new rack this winter

My rack has an aluminium extension piece and is fitted with an auxiliary tank which holds 43 litres of fuel, has coped with that fine for several years.

40kg of weight!
I would actually expect it to break with that sort of loading!
I have a home made ally extension on my older 1100 to enable the box to be moved back to make the pillion space better but I already had the givi braces on, so left them in place. No sign of any cracking anywhere.
The reason I ask is that I want to do the same on my newly acquired 1100 and don`t have more braces.

Maybe the weight stops it flexing ;) Has been on there for about 65k miles - but I am going out to the garage to check my subframe and rack now!

Maybe, its our high speed sand/gravel roads with "washboard" surfaces but they ALL break here, if you don't do just tar with a lightly loaded box, they break... a regular failure, one of our locals makes braces which when my new rack arrives I will fit, and my bike has never seen a topbox:beerjug:

I use only the front seat and load anything "heavy" where the passenger seat should be:D

Where do you go to need an extra 43 litres of fuel ! Or are you just choosy about whch petrol stations you use :)

Probably an iron but thing. I've done the BB Gold in the uk. Met a lot of them out in Utah a few years ago, all similarly equipped.

I reinforced the rear rack by turning upside down and putting some 10mm stainless rod in the channels - all secured with a healthy dose of JB weld. I've also put some small alloy blocks - approx 5mm thick - on top of the pannier rails so that the seat frame rests on the rails and hence the bike frame. Took a lot of flex out of the rack.

Mine went on my 1100GS under normal road use. Commuter miles, top box for butties and gym kit so not much weight.

I cracked one few years ago. With empty Krauser Xplorer top box.

And now couple of weeks ago noticed that i had broken rear frame too. Removed it and got it welded ok. Next problem is that the rear frame has bendt so the original side boxes are not seating properly. Carrier is too low on both sides about 1 cm. From the rear.

Going to try to bend in back today with some heat.

I had one break while over in Ireland riding on a road with big bumps through the peat area... The rack isn't overly strong and with the position of the box the rear end will flex and as its ally, it has little flex of it's own...

Back
Top Bottom