R1150GS died - mea culpa

nud1e

Reaction score
About 6 miles into my commute, stopped behind a trunk at traffic lights, I heard an odd sound which I thought might be from the trunk.
Lights changed, pulled away and a half mile later the bike died, all lights on but no go.
Did a visual check and could find nothing out of the ordinary.
Switched on the ignition and the fuel pump screamed. Switched it off.
Got the bike recovered to home through a friend of a friend.
Phone the guru in Cork who told me in no uncertain terms not to make it worse by trying to fix it before getting it to him.
As we discussed possible problems, I mentioned that I had disconnected the fuel lines to tighten a clamp on a leaking line.
Told him that one connector had gone back together without any problems but that the front connector had been reluctant to go together.
He told me that the connectors should be greased every time that they are apart and he meant every time.
So I took them apart, greased them and they both went back together with a click.
Turned on the ignition, no scream from the pump and the bike started.

The front connector had look good when I did the visual check but must not have been fully seated.

The front connector had look good when I did the visual check but must not have been fully seated.

That's a common problem particularly with the KTM 690 where the fuel connector is under the front side of the seat.

It's advisable to get some spare new viton O rings and use rubber grease when fitting ..... or spit if you don't have any :barf

You are lucky it was only not locked...if it was cracked it can piss fuel out.

rubber grease and keep a spare set (AND a spare connector even a used one is better than nothing and by having one male / female you can usually repair a cock up as its only one side breaks)

Back
Top Bottom