Europe 2015.20 update available to BMW Navigator V - Part 2 - Not enough space....

Wapping

Reaction score
I am currently running City Navigator Europe NTU 2014.4 on both my Mac and my Nav V device.

I thought I might as well update the mapping, which should be easy enough.

Garmin Express is reporting back that the new map version will not fit on the Navigator V, so I must use a data card. Fair enough.

Just before I splash some of my hard earned on a suitable card, has anyone with a Mac, loaded the new maps onto a Nav V WITHOUT using a data card, if so how?

Many thanks.

Richard

It's Probably not removing the old version of maps, 8gb more than enough for NTU maps

Hi

I downloaded the last update onto the satnav.

When I first got the unit and tried to upgrade I got the message of not enough space.

I searched on this site (I think) for an answer. Basically if you remove all the old mapping (ing files?)and the odd files that you don't need it creates the space. Apparently just installing doesn't remove the old files, hence the lack of space.

Bill

It's Probably not removing the old version of maps, 8gb more than enough for NTU maps

Yup, that's what i thought.

Hi

I downloaded the last update onto the satnav.

When I first got the unit and tried to upgrade I got the message of not enough space.

I searched on this site (I think) for an answer. Basically if you remove all the old mapping (ing files?)and the odd files that you don't need it creates the space. Apparently just installing doesn't remove the old files, hence the lack of space.

Bill

Aha, now you are delving into the deleting of files, always worrying when the advice is cautioned with question marks and 'I think'..... My IT skills stop at turning the computer on and off. But, I can work BaseCamp.... so I am blessed in other ways.

It appears to be a file called: Gmapprom.img but I am now in choppy waters.

That's exactly what SHOULD happen, but in the mysterious world of Garmin, it often doesn't with the result that people report not having enough space cos it doesn't delete the old map. Do it manually and reinstall and you'll be OK. Its Gmapprom.img that you need to delete before installing the new map and that'll sort any space issues, but ONLY DO IT if you are having problems, i.e. should NOT be necessary in the real world. (If worried back it up first)
From past experience, when Garmin Express goes wrong, its best to remove it completely and reinstall cos it used to save install files within itself and confuse itself (that may now be sorted with latest releases so don't know for sure )

I am currently running City Navigator Europe NTU 2014.4 on both my Mac and my Nav V device.

I thought I might as well update the mapping, which should be easy enough.

Garmin Express is reporting back that the new map version will not fit on the Navigator V, so I must use a data card. Fair enough.

Just before I splash some of my hard earned on a suitable card, has anyone with a Mac, loaded the new maps onto a Nav V WITHOUT using a data card, if so how?

Many thanks.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Redrick and myself have both done it successfully, but we both got exactly the same message as you!

I unplugged m device and checked the maps - the old one had gone so Express had stripped it off the machine. I retried the install and it worked fine second time. Redrick did same apparently and worked for him too.

Full details on this recent thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?379425-Garmin-Map-update-2015-20&p=3886298#post3886298

Hope this helps!

I seem to remember this happening to some people with the last update. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned, in one of the threads relating to the problem, that if you had a memory card installed you didn't get the problem. When I updated the maps I made sure I had a card fitted and it all went smoothly. I can only assume that it needed the memory card to use as temporary storage whilst it deleted the old files during the installation. I've not tried updating to the latest maps so it will be interesting to see if it goes smoothly again when I do.

Bob

I've always had no luck at all with updates, but thought I'd give the latest a try ( on a 660)

I got the message that a memory card had been detected , and this would be used for the update ( on previous updates never got that message)

Left it running all night, and woke up to maps fully installed. ( that's using a Mac)

Was convinced it would all end in tears so quite surprised :thumb

Hi Richard,

Redrick and myself have both done it successfully, but we both got exactly the same message as you!

I unplugged m device and checked the maps - the old one had gone so Express had stripped it off the machine. I retried the install and it worked fine second time. Redrick did same apparently and worked for him too.

Full details on this recent thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?379425-Garmin-Map-update-2015-20&p=3886298#post3886298

Hope this helps!

Aha...

Thank you for the link.

I tried Paintman's simple suggestion in post 11 http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...date-2015-20&p=3886318&viewfull=1#post3886318 first... but no joy.

I think I'll try the method you and Redrick used in posts 6 and 8... Load maps to the Mac ONLY and then onto the device.... Then two times 45 minutes of nail biting tension.... I have a spare Nav V if it all goes wrong AND I'll send the boys round to bip you one on the hooter for good measure....

Or I might just buy a memory card and have done with it. Quite why the map updates don't remove the old map set from the device, just as they used to, is indeed a mystery... that not even Toyah (I've got a lisp) Wilcox could explain.

Aha...

Thank you for the link.

I tried Paintman's suggestion in post 11 http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...date-2015-20&p=3886318&viewfull=1#post3886318 first... but no joy.

I think I'll try the method you and Redrick used in posts 6 and 8... Load maps to the computer ONLY and then onto the device.... Then two times 45 minutes of nail biting tension.... I have a spare Nav V if it all goes wrong AND I'll send the boys round to bip you one on the hooter for good measure....

Or I might just buy a memory card and have done with it. Quite why the map updates don't remove the old map set from the device, just as they used to, is indeed a mystery... that not even Toyah (I've got a lisp) Wilcox could explain.

Good luck! Given you've had one stab at it already you may get away with only one 45 minute period of high drama and tension ;)

Don't bother - I have a spare 8gb micro SD (plus adaptor) you can have.

Thank you, Charlie....

Maps loading onto my Mac..... 10% done in 10 minutes and down from three hours to two....

Much rolling of drums..... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've had the message about the updated map being available but aren't do it just yet as I'll be needing the Nav V in a few days time.
I currently have USA maps on my SD Card so don't want to risk fecking that up.
My Nav V currently shows 98% usage which is a little odd as when I got it, with Europe obviously installed it was showing 60-70% full IIRC.

I wonder if it installs the new map before removing the old map for some reason, though that wouldn't explain why mine now appears to be quite so full?:nenau

I'll give it a go when I get back from my impending trip, it'll be interesting to see if it puts the new map on the unit or the SD card.

Done that; the ravages of four days and the Morvan are but a distant memory.

92% and / or nine minutes....

Fell at the first...

Garmin Express finds the Nav V but still persists in telling me that the device needs an SD card.

Tried to use MapInstall but that will not do it either. Odd as two other bods managed to pull the stunt off. Oh well, 50% of the way there; the maps went straight into my Mac and unlocked themselves, ready to use.

Now, has anyone with a MAC, running BaseCamp and owning a Nav V, got some really simple line-by-line instructions (preferably with pictures) on how to safely and reliably remove the current map set files from my Nav V to free up the space, please.

When you have installed the maps to the computer, open base camp and click on the maps tab at the top then go to install where it should show the latest city navigator version and may say it that it will not fit depending on unit etc.

Click on customise and from this screen chose Advanced/Partial install which then brings up all 330 of the maps that go to make up CN - choose the ones you need rather than all of them and you should considerably reduce the amount of space required.

Hope this helps

S

Yup, I can do that from Garmin Express or MapInstall, selecting what map tiles I want to use. I used to do the same thing with earlier devices.

The only reasons why I want the full set of Euro maps on the device are:

1. The device should have plenty enough memory to take the 6 gb of new mapping, if only the installer software would take the old map sets off or I guess overwrite them

2. I sometimes use the device to show bods how to do things and / or create routes. I don't want to show them how to create a route from Helsinki to Lisbon, only to discover I have not got map tiles 123 and 492

I am happy enough putting an SD card in, it just upsets my tidy sense of order that I can't get the existing maps OFF the device. I have used Finder to look at the device's files, have deleted all sorts of language and help files to create space (an old 550 trick) but the new maps still won't fit. I can't see the map files anywhere, though they must be there or the device would not work properly. If someone could just give me a line-by-line explanation of how to delete unwanted map files on a Nav V, via a Mac, all will probably be well. That request is now in a race with me getting an SD card.

Back
Top Bottom