Stelvio in the real world

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just completed a 1500 ml trip up the west coast of Scotland and back I'm now on 3000 mls on the Stelvio.

My fellow travellers were on 2x Triumph Explorers and a Kawasaki 1400gtr.

Bearing in mind that that the other lads where staying B&B and I was camping, I was carrying an awful lot more weight than they were,plus when I camp I don't travel light,taking everything I'll need for the trip including all food,a Khyam biker tent,Exped megamat sleeping mat and a down bag,Trangia and fuel and the rest of the gubbins that goes along with camping'

I'd spent some time playing with the suspension settings a couple of weeks ago and now I've got the setting sorted for every scenario and it only takes around 30 secs to alter the settings,and I must say the suspension is great,if it does have a down side it's that it can dive quite markedly under heavy braking,but even fully loaded the bike handled faultlessly.

The bike preferred to be kept singing whilst under load i.e. going up steep hills etc and I found that whilst fully loaded using 6th gear as an overdrive made the bike feel much happier plus it stopped the weight pushing you on going into the bends.

So, here I am on a trip with 3 bikes that on paper are much faster than mine plus I'm loaded to the gunnels.Where they much faster than mine ?
I wouldn't describe any of the group as slouches and if possible we all like to get on but in the real world the Stelvio was never left behind, there where times when they might pull away from me on a long straight but not so far that it was difficult to catch them up when we got back into the twisties.

I can't say that I never noticed the extra weight,of course I did but the Stelvio carried it very well and was an absolute pleasure to ride at all times, plus at very low speed it was much less of a handful than my previous 1200wc.

It was just a great bike to ride up in Scotland it's just so soulful and very engaging to ride.

Nothing came loose nothing dropped off and since it's 600ml service it has used not a drop of oil.

I'm even thinking about giving it a name :augie

If your thinking of changing your bike soon,go try one I dare you.

Averaged 43mpg which is not great, I spent around £15 more than others in fuel during the trip which I'm more than happy to live with.
Steve

Not a characteristic associated with many new BMW's...

David, looking at your avatar, you didn't used to live at 10, Rillington Place did you ? :augie

(Sorry for hijacking your thread Steve :D )

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike Steve. You seem to average a bit less mpg than me, my usual touring average is in the high 40's to low 50's, but I don't take camping equipment although I could do with losing a couple of stones.
For some strange reason the motorcycle press seem to underestimate the Guzzi.
After five years of Stelvio ownership I can't think of another current modern motorcycle I would have to replace it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike Steve. You seem to average a bit less mpg than me, my usual touring average is in the high 40's to low 50's, but I don't take camping equipment although I could do with losing a couple of stones.
For some strange reason the motorcycle press seem to underestimate the Guzzi.
After five years of Stelvio ownership I can't think of another current modern motorcycle I would have to replace it.

Kevin Ash certainly didn't underestimate the Stelvio.I believe shortly before his very sad accident he had rated the latest Stelvio as a 5* bike,and certainly sang it's praises.
As for the rest of the motorcycle press,maybe Moto Guzzi don't spend enough in advertising to encourage them to promote the bikes ?

Strange how something doesn't match up on paper to the latest and greatest but in reality can be a much nicer thing to ride.

Steve

Nice to read your comments. Have been considering swapping the Sport for one. Had a look at one in a Leicestershire showroom recently and the finish is excellent , just like my Sport , except for the bubbling chrome on the wire wheels which seems to be common. Unfortunately it didn't have luggage and adding some put it out of my price range. I like the look of the NTX and was at Streffords recently but couldn't go on their demo as I didn't have my license.

I think a test ride would see me buying one, albeit used. I love my Guzzi Sports character but like the comfort and riding position of the GS but I can't justify have so much money sat in one whereas a Stelvio of equal age & mileage would be more affordable.

Must try and get a go on one:thumb

Had a look at one in a Leicestershire showroom recently and the finish is excellent , just like my Sport , except for the bubbling chrome on the wire wheels which seems to be common.

Must try and get a go on one:thumb

I've been a massive fan of all things "Bilt Hamber" for many years now. www.bilthamber.com/ They produce all sorts of polishes waxes and anti corrosion solutions all of which I've used have been unsurpassed by anything else,in fact I have 4 pieces of mild steel outside my shed which have been left for 4yrs with one side coated with an anti corrosion substance and the other side left untreated.

The one treated with Bilt Hamber DYNAX UC remains completely unscathed on the treated side,the other three have all begun to corrode including the one coated with acf 50.

Steve

The one treated with Bilt Hamber DYNAX UC remains completely unscathed on the treated side,the other three have all begun to corrode including the one coated with acf 50.

Steve

Steve, a few years ago, Gnarley Harley managed to produce a batch of chrome (wheels, in my case) that, regardless of the protective treatment applied, had the chrome plating lifting around the spoke holes; symptomatic and indicative of poor quality preparation and shoddy production.
Wheels rims were replaced, in some cases obligingly by dealers, but in other cases only after a bl00dy fight.

I am on my second , and love it.
Does exactly as it says on the tin.

Having been a long term advocate of BMW , I have to say the last few i looked at were
very poorly finished , an 09 with the rust showing on the Subframe , engine casings bubbling , i saw a 13 Reg WC GS in portstewart the other evening , and was gutted for the
guy that owned it , Just where the engine and gearbox casings meet , there is the obligatory
Bubbling of the Casing paint ! ,,,,, Awful !.

None of that on the Guzzi !

I was impressed with the finish and quality of the Guzzi Breva 1100 but slow handling and poor ground clearance really let it down. It felt like the back shock was 1 to 2 inches too short.

Back
Top Bottom