Gsa vs gs gearbox

stev0

Reaction score
I know that in certain countries the gsa was available with a lower first gear. It was only available in za with that option and as result all non gsa's had the taller first gear.

Not that it really a big issue. I was just wondering how much of the two gearboxes are the same and if it's just the 1st and top gear that differ on the two models.

I like the top gear but 1st could be a little tall in certain situations. What stops me from just changing the 1st gear on the box?

Has it been done?

I have both a low geared GSA and a standard, longer-legged gearbox on the GS. The difference is felt right through, looking at the revs / road speed. In top at 70mph there is 500 rpm difference. That doesn't sound a lot, but it makes the standard GS gearbox MUCH cheaper to run, on fuel consumption alone. To the point where I am thinking of getting the GSA gearbox changed for a longer one. Just how much of the gearbox would need changing I don't know - if you can just change the top gear that would suit me, but I think the jump from 5th to 6th would be huge then. The ratios seem to be different right through the range. I think a refurbed gearbox is the cheapest option and on todays fuel prices it would only take a year to see the money back on the miles I do.

The jump from 5th to 6th is pretty big. I think its nearly 1000rpm @ 70 (4500 to 3500)

The stock GS just cruises so nicely.

Mike O can probably provide some good advice. I believe he has had 2 hybrid gearboxes built with the ratios you have in mind.

I know that in certain countries the gsa was available with a lower first gear. It was only available in za with that option and as result all non gsa's had the taller first gear.

Not that it really a big issue. I was just wondering how much of the two gearboxes are the same and if it's just the 1st and top gear that differ on the two models.

I like the top gear but 1st could be a little tall in certain situations. What stops me from just changing the 1st gear on the box?

Has it been done?

Nothing stopping you. I had a box refurbed by scriminger recently and was going to send them a spare box with short top gear. They said they would just change the top gear for the price of the parts.

Mike O can probably provide some good advice. I believe he has had 2 hybrid gearboxes built with the ratios you have in mind.

From what I can remember MikeO had a GSA enduro box and a standard GS box. I can't remember which way round he did it, but he used the low First gear from the GSA box, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th the same and used the long gear from the standard GS box.

Which ever end you tackle you will need the first or sixth gear, and the corresponding gear on the intermediate shaft. The gears on the intermediate shaft are not available separately, and BMW do not make an intermediate shaft for this set up, so the gears have to be removed/replaced from the intermediate shaft using a press.

Edit
I believe the work was undertaken for MikeO by Scriminger Engineering.

Ian

So the 1100 final drive will just be easier to swap over?

I have a Standard R1150GS with standard gearbox. I swopped my final drive for an R1100GS (33:11). It lowers the whole gearing, which makes the first gear better for pulling away from stationary. Also the acceleration is more sporty due to lower gearing. I also get better fuel economy, mainly because I spend longer in 6th gear on standard roads and can overtake in top if I want to.

You loose the fuel economy that the long gear would give on motorways, but that's not an issue for me as I avoid motorways like the plague (boring).

Ian

Difference between the two different top gears is quite pronounced.
Coming back from morocco with Rob (shapeshifter), he had the enduro box with the lower 6th gear, i have the gear box with the high 6th gear, and he was doing a touch over 500rpm more at the same speed.
But the big difference was when it came to filling up with fuel.

Robs cost £5 more per full tank EACH time we filled up. Now this was riding together over a 1200 mile distance on mainly motorways and main roads. And this was back in 2009, so the price difference would be even greater now

Add up the extra cost over the life of the bike and that's a large amount of money being thrown out of the exhaust, for absolutely no benefit whatsoever in my opinion.

i loved the high top gear on my 1150, shame BMW abandoned the option for the 1200, cos that could have used it as well.

sure, you lose a bit of instant go, but that's what that little lever by your left foot is for.

Back
Top Bottom