I never new these could fly

The engine is super reliable - it's all the other stuff that breaks!! I'd get in that:thumby:

Nice but the engine is back to front.
Would this make a difference in a flying R1100?
Dammit where is Flyer when we need him to help:blast
Adrian

I'm no mechanic or flyer but the rear wheel of a bike is behind the engine and is the driven wheel. In the plane the prop is the 'driven wheel' and it sits behind the engine, hence the layout?

The engine's the right way round to turn a prop. Aero engines are also used within a relatively small rev range for much of the tme, so it should not be taxed hard and should be very reliable.

The engine was particularly sought after in the early/mid 90s for use in Kit Planes. and were changing hands for £3000+ from written off bikes. There was a write up about this in Motorcycle International.

a slightly different design

11.jpg

The 1200 replaced them but soon the fad faded when the 1200 fleet was grounded as they kept breakin down and this was thought to be a bad thing at 10000 feet...

As has been said, the engine was always the strongest bit on the 11's... On the 12's the strongest bit is the resolve of the owner to keep coming back for more...:D Thanks god planes don't use FD's...

Nice but the engine is back to front.
Would this make a difference in a flying R1100?
Dammit where is Flyer when we need him to help:blast
Adrian

I wasnt too clear in my first message and obviously these work and are/where popular.
But I was refering to the fact that the exhausts are behind the engine when ideally they would be in front as on the bike so the air cools them better.
I am just relating this from my days of owning a Lancia Delta Turbo when version one had the exhaust at the rear of the motor and version had it at the front which helped keep everything cooler.

Adrian

I guess cooling isn't an issue at 5000 ft where the air is cooler?

Back
Top Bottom