Where was I?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a ride out yesterday, no prizes for guessing where.. Might fox JB this one, as it is similar to a few other locations, but not holding out many hopes...

Attachments

• guess.jpg
    guess.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 304
Looks like Thixendale to me too :thumb

Serious question here....
Just how were those "dales" formed?
They're fascinating in a rather strange way.

Serious question here....
Just how were those "dales" formed?
They're fascinating in a rather strange way.

A lovely area. The valleys are dry, ie no rivers along the bottom of them. Formed by glacial action in the ice ages.

:beerjug:

Yep, it has to be thixendale. And your spot on Micky with your glacial hypothesis. Most of the yorkshire Wolds is made up that way.

It has to be one of my favourite little roads.

Cheers Dave.

A lovely area. The valleys are dry, ie no rivers along the bottom of them. Formed by glacial action in the ice ages.

Hope the valley is not dry at DENT ,that would be tragic:rolleyes:

Hope the valley is not dry at DENT ,that would be tragic:rolleyes:

There's a (micro) brewery in the village. The village holds bier festivals :thumb

I will speak to those concerned .... fear not :D

It's a lovely area to ride, but watch out for gravel and crap on the roads around there, it can be nasty.

+1 for the gravel on the road - it can be a bit dodgy.

Yeah it's Thixendale. I thought the valley might throw ideas towards Millington/ Pockilington- very similar landscape. And to quote my school reports "must try harder" next time...

Right location, wrong cause I think. The whole area was an inland sea caused by glacial melt water back in time, what you are seeing is the final valleys caused by the water run off similar to those visible in an almost empty reservoir. Once the water flow had subsided below a certain level the remaining water sinks through the chalk so the valleys are now dry.
After a very near miss down there one winter I keep out until I know there is no ice. I don't think the sun reaches the valley bottom some time.

Back
Top Bottom