Northern Spain (not Picos or Pyranees)

sauluk

Reaction score
We've done the pyranees (France and Spain) and the Picos albeit didn't get too far with the latter due to poor weather. Are there any other areas in north Spain which are any good?

Galicia ……then drop down into Northern Portugal

Cracking roads, nice people, & mostly empty of traffic :thumb2

+1 Santiago de Compostella is a must, as are Salamanca, Avila and Segovia to the south of the Picos :beerjug:

+1 for Santiago de Compostella. You may also want to ride around the Rias Baixas (Low rivers) before going on to Portugal.

Asturias and Gallicia are great - but essentially you're in the Picos still. Great riding and, when you get to the far west, as well as the fabulous riding, Santiago is a definite must-see (especially the cathedral - even if you're not Catholic, it's a helluva place).

An alternative: Reus, which is south of Barcelona but still just about in the north... The riding in the hills there is just fantastic. Plus Reus and Tarragona are great cities/towns to explore.

Of course, there's excellent riding along the coast to the north of Barcelona, through Lloret and Tossa de Mar, as well as in the hills behind the city (around Manresa)

Plenty to go at there, you don,t say if you are there now or planing to go, if you are still planing the trip, I would leave it until Spring as the weather in the North is cold and very wet from now till Spring. What ever you choose enjoy the trip. :comfort

Thanks all. It'd be start of September next year or possibly the year after as may take a break next year

Don't be in too much of a rush to get to Galicia without exploring Asturias on the way. So many great biking roads, relatively empty with small welcoming inns and hotels on the way. Uncrowned walks if that's your thing (try the Ruta del Alba, only 8 km and divine) and great scenery. Ride from Riana in the top corner of the Picos(where the big lake is) along the AS 17. I stay in the Hotel Don Carlos in Rioseco - a sort of boutique hotel but cheaper, but there are lots of other options. The coal mining museum in Langreo is a must, then take the cross mountain road to Urbies - fab ride! We rode through one village where everyone seemed to be wearing the weird 'clogs on stilts' that we thought were consigned to history. Rode through the middle of a 'robust' protest by local miners and police at one point which was interesting but nevertheless a great area with many surprising bits to it.

We used the ferry from Gijon to St. Nazaire to get home.

Don't forget the journey down to Northern Spain, riding through France has to beat the ferry every time.

Heres a video if a trip to Northern Spain with my son on the back!

Or Plymouth - Santander.......... You have a good nights sleep on the ferry and arrive nice and fresh in Northern Spain.

Or Plymouth - Santander.......... You have a good nights sleep on the ferry and arrive nice and fresh in Northern Spain.

But you also lose a whole day and pay a fortune...

St Nazaire - Gijon cost me 83 euros for a four berth cabin. Cheaper than a B&B plus the cost of driving down the west cost of france.
Left St Naz 9pm, arrive Gijon 10.30am. Perfect.

St Nazaire to Gijon ferries suspended -
LD Lines wed -

Saint-Nazaire/Gijon route is currently suspended whilst negotiations continue to allow resumption of service. We will keep you informed shortly of the progress of these discussions via this website.

Lucky me this is my plan in June. Other half has retired from the rear seat (happy days !:kissy2) and I am winding my way down through Spain as i have done almost every year and meet up near Malaga where i stay. I have never done the far west of Spain (Galicia ?) and dropping down into Portugal and for Xmas daughter bought 3 detailed Michelin maps of Portugal to aide my trip. Seems to be mountains in centre Portugal, anyone has any nice pointers for places to stay will appreciate heads up !:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom