Informing your car insurer if you have a bike claim ...

yamonda1

Reaction score
If you have a claim with your bike insurer do you have to inform your, different company, car insurer of the incident, or vice versa for that matter?

Thanks,

Peter

Sticks in the throat though, not able to use NCB on another vehicle, unless you go multi bike policy, but get stung if you claim on another.

Couple of years ago we were told if we were involved in any accidents at work in job vehicles that we had to inform our own insurers and with all policies now being computerised it could prove difficult if you do not tell them of a claim on another policy

Informed my car insurer this p.m. about a bike incident in which I am not to blame, 11.91p premium increase with no real explanation why "It just goes up" was their answer :(

:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob

Interesting.

My car insurance said no increase in premium but will be 'reviewed' at renewal.

My bike accident was a car turning right from a minor onto a major road, typical 'Sorry, I didn't see you' (forget the green jacket, white helmet, headlight on and spots on my crash bars on......Yam S10). I'm fairly confident that it will eventually be recorded as a no fault claim on my part, but the 84 year old third party refuses to admit liability and is claiming I was speeding.

Mike

Fight fire with fire......

Tell DVLA/police that you believe he should face a retest or license revoke.........

That should get his attention.......

Al

The police were called to the scene and told the driver that 'his insurance would pay for my damage'. I have a log number for the accident but because my own insurance did not inspire confidence and the third party was denying responsibility, I followed advice and passed my claim onto an accident management company on a no win no fee basis.

The management company must also be certain of winning the case because (at the moment) they have paid for the repair to my bike!

Mike

The police were called to the scene and told the driver that 'his insurance would pay for my damage'. I have a log number for the accident but because my own insurance did not inspire confidence and the third party was denying responsibility, I followed advice and passed my claim onto an accident management company on a no win no fee basis.

The management company must also be certain of winning the case because (at the moment) they have paid for the repair to my bike!

Mike

Was your insurance premium fairly cheap or with one of these Mickey Mouse companies

Mike

Even if you're not hurt. Lay down and stay down, get an ambulance called. Then the police have to get involved and will take statements which can be used to your benefit in any claims dispute.

My bike accident was a car turning right from a minor onto a major road, typical 'Sorry, I didn't see you' (forget the green jacket, white helmet, headlight on and spots on my crash bars on......Yam S10). I'm fairly confident that it will eventually be recorded as a no fault claim on my part, but the 84 year old third party refuses to admit liability and is claiming I was speeding.

Mike

So the 84 year old says you were speeding. To know this, they must have seen you. If they saw you, then they must have pulled across, so causing the accident, on purpose. That sounds more than dangerous driving to me.

Good point Miff. Also has the driver had an eye test recently?

There's an old dear I know of, 90yrs old and was still driving until last year. She was an accident looking for somewhere to happen. I had seen her driving on a few occasions and informed her son. He persuaded her to give up her license and was horrified to learn she had been driving without her specs.

So the 84 year old says you were speeding. To know this, they must have seen you. If they saw you, then they must have pulled across, so causing the accident, on purpose. That sounds more than dangerous driving to me.

I think he is being too clever for his own good.

He now claims I hadn't come around a bend when he checked. Google Earth and basic maths indicate my average speed would have to be over 110mph for this to be true.

It's now just the hassle of me waiting for the management company to persuade his insurance of his liability.

I'll post full details on here when everything is resolved.

Mike

Couple of years ago we were told if we were involved in any accidents at work in job vehicles that we had to inform our own insurers and with all policies now being computerised it could prove difficult if you do not tell them of a claim on another policy

Didn't think job had insurance just a huge wad of cash in the form of a bond, the premiums for insurance for them would be more than the bar bill at the House of Commons.. ( OK half as much)

Didn't think job had insurance just a huge wad of cash in the form of a bond, the premiums for insurance for them would be more than the bar bill at the House of Commons.. ( OK half as much)

No MOT either from what I've heard. Not the only lot to have no insurance, the late lamented Northern Telecom posted a bond as well to avoid needing insurance for their vehicles. Not sure what happened when they called in the receivers.

Police vehicles are tested and are insured on one business policy, never did manage to find out what the premiums were but bet it wasn't cheap .

Was your insurance premium fairly cheap or with one of these Mickey Mouse companies

Sorry, just seen this question.

My insurance company is ERS, who I believe under-write the BMW scheme

Mike

I was with ERS via Carol Nash, they paid a total loss claim even before I'd sent them the bike's documents, a pleasure to deal with.

A lot more on my big smidsy when the legalities have finished.

Back
Top Bottom