Ignition troubles

manbike

Reaction score
Hi there,
New here, getting back into bikes after 15 year 'pause' and bought myself 1996 R1100GS. All going well until I switched ignition to 'Park' and now cannot change switch position. Key comes out OK, but neither key nor spare effective. Tried oiling ignition, wriggling key, moving bars etc. Wondered if there is an interlock preventing key from working. Have spoken to a couple of bike shops who have said easy to supply replacement ignition switch but removal of original/refitting very big job - removal of fairing/forks/drilling out mounting bolts etc. All comments welcome.
Many thanks.
Oldermodel

Hi there,
New here, getting back into bikes after 15 year 'pause' and bought myself 1996 R1100GS. All going well until I switched ignition to 'Park' and now cannot change switch position. Key comes out OK, but neither key nor spare effective. Tried oiling ignition, wriggling key, moving bars etc. Wondered if there is an interlock preventing key from working. Have spoken to a couple of bike shops who have said easy to supply replacement ignition switch but removal of original/refitting very big job - removal of fairing/forks/drilling out mounting bolts etc. All comments welcome.
Many thanks.
Oldermodel

are you pressing down on the key as well as wiggling bars?

Hi there,
Many thanks.
Oldermodel

It's a very simple job to replace the whole ignition unit.

No need for any fairing or body panel removal.

Remove the top yolk Which is held in place by two fork leg nuts and the top yolk bolt.

The ignition unit is held in place by two security bolts... But no need to faff around drilling out complete bolts. Just drill the ignition security bolts a couple of mm deep with a 5mm drill bit, and then hit a torq bit into the drill hole and undo like a normal bolt.

Replace using normal allen head bolts. .

Wd40 in key slot,plenty of wriggling about and it should free up.i only know this coz after leaving my bike sitting for 6mths after last winter I had the same problem.all is ok now.

Back
Top Bottom