2015 S10, matt paint - thoughts

johnfoxllb

Reaction score
I'm considering a 2015 but notice that both models, grey and white, are finished with matt paint.

Whilst matt finishes seem to be popular at the moment, is it not somewhat impractical on an adventure bike? Scratches cannot be polished out, I've seen the results of t-cut on a matt green Triumph Scrambler, the finish was ruined.

Basically anything that rubs on the tank, be it a tank bag, cover, or your knees is likely to leave a permanent blemish on the paint that can't be dealt with.

I remember speaking to someone who works in a bmw bodyshop a couple of years ago when the semi matt paint jobs came in on the bmw 6 series etc, they hated them because of all the problems with the paint being marked, they only recommended cleaning with car shampoo and then thoroughly rinsing the bodywork and then polishing it with glass cleaner and blue paper as it was the only thing that didn't leave marks on the surface.

Car washes were a no no and god forbid if you got bird shit on the paint and didn't wash it off straight away.

My gsa is the blue and I fully agree that it will no doubt mark easily, so much so that if I keep the bike I am looking to get it relacquered either with a gloss finish or semi matt but with a good thick coat of lacquer on it

Ive heard of the odd prob with Triumph paintwork before, so i wouldnt base your findings on that alone.

My Oct 12 Tenere's paint is still strong. i use it all the time, all weathers ( except ice ) and its still in grerat nick.No marks / signs of wear on the tank etc. Its the matt grey / black model. Its prob the same matt greay colour on the new one you're talking about ? It looks to be.

Back
Top Bottom