1150 GS 'ADVENTURE' help please

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Guy's, I'm going to look at a 1150 GS Adventure this week, it's quite a long way from me so before I make the journey please can you help me with the following:

Is there anything I need to consider outside of a decent service history & re: seat height - is my 32 inside leg going to be too short for the Adventure model?

Cheers. :thumb2

You'll be fine with a 32" inside leg.... I found mine a bit of a struggle at 29" :D

32 is fine

Pushing up from side stand can be an effort, because of the 45 degree lean though

Check rear drive thoroughly for play, whilst on centre stand by grabbing rear wheel at 3 & 6 o'clock positions

Check it drives ok & no clutch slip

Check no blue or white smoke at tickover

If it's an early ADV make sure it has the 32ltr tank, as it was an option back then.

Can't you try one out for size before making the journey? I'm sure someone on here will be local to you...

As for what to look for - well that depends on the spec, age and condition of the bike. ABS is known to go wrong at higher miles which can cost a fortune to replace or can be removed relatively cheaply. Final drives fail at higher miles, final drive pivot bearings also need replacing at higher miles. Starter motors fail, Hall sensors fail - lots of stuff really. The biggest and most expensive job is going to be replacing the clutch - 100,000 miles is probably the right ballpark for a new clutch but it does vary massively depending on how the bike has been used - some go much earlier and some last way past 100,000 miles. Despite all that though, the 1150 is probably the most reliable of the range.

As for inside leg and seat height - plenty of options for changing things round if you find it's too big or heavy. Lower shocks, lower seats and standard GS seat replacements are all possible.

Good luck:thumby:

gsa

looks a nice clean bike ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the 1150 are really superb bikes and you will make loads of new friends owning it :beerjug:

For what it's worth ...

... they are considered locally to be generally pretty fair dealership :thumb2

Looks like it's sold?

That luggage is a crime, though

Yep the luggage is awful, top box is fine I had a v46 on a previous bike and they're pretty well made but the panniers :barf

I paid a holding deposit which is why it's not being advertised.

It'll be mid-afternoon Wed or Thurs this week. Bike's at Speed opposite Exeter St Davids train station, I put a returnable (no quibble) £100 deposit on it to take if off sale until I can get there and they're servicing it tomorrow.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271534721949?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

speed have a very good reputation down these parts, if I get a chance I will pop in and have a look for you, have you got a deffo time yet?

Back
Top Bottom