This looks cheap (caution....oil thread!!)

What ingredient spec is it? Is it API SG compatible? If newer gen (API SJ and on in alphabet), I wouldnt buy it - can be bad for you engine in the long term :augie

What ingredient spec is it? Is it API SG compatible? If newer gen (API SJ and on in alphabet), I wouldnt buy it - can be bad for you engine in the long term :augie

According to the api spec, later oils are backward compatible? SG is superseded by the later letter.

No problem, that is a good specification oil. Not exactly cheap though.

If you bought the Silkolene motorcycle equivalent (same manufacturer), which as near as matters would be the 10w50 designed for v twins it would be at least double the price.
Fuchs oils are very good quality

According to the api spec, later oils are backward compatible?

Nope, they aren't - it's another marketing bollocks to make you buy it since it's cheap by using cheap ingredients. :augie

Air-cooled engines have much higher tolerance (read: slack) and temperature variations over operational cycle than the thin modern oil can fill the gaps since they're designed speciefically for the tighter water-cooled engines that dominate the engine industry of today, plus an additional consumerism factor of making things cheap.

When you plan to keep bike short time then there's no worry of course, you can run on a vegetable oil if you like to, but if you plan on making 100-200K+ miles on your bike and still be able to run the original engine then the matters can be different.

API SG spec (i.e. compare BMW and Golden Spectro with others in graph) has enough zinc and phosphor levels required for the robust air-cooled engines. It's not just the BMW, but Moto Guzzi and Ducati have issued similar official warnings about using modern-spec oils in their air/oil-cooled bikes in the recent past since people have experienced major engine failures since those modern oils tend to be made cheap by not having enough wear-protective additives such as zinc, magnesium etc (expensive metals and requires technology to make them as oil additives in the right amounts = too costly by consumerism standards). Doesn't mean you have to buy an expensive oil, but I reckon one should think twice when buying the cheapest oils available.

oilreporte.gif

Have you ever wondered why the brand new OEM BMW branded oils you can buy today for your boxer are still based on that "obsolete" API SG or SH spec not some "bacwards" compatible new spec oil as SF or SJ? And why-o-why that "obsolete" SG oil is still being produced today? There's a small but a healthy market of oldschool-design engines still running.

Can't find the newer similar European market warning, but here's an older US BMW's official warning on using new generation oils in your air/oil-cooled boxer.

Since it's an oil thread - I'll get me coat now... :augie

Odd that I can't even find the linked product on the Fuchs Europe site.

Nope, they aren't - it's another marketing bollocks to make you buy it since it's cheap by using cheap ingredients. :augie

Air-cooled engines have much higher tolerance (read: slack) and temperature variations over operational cycle than the thin modern oil can fill the gaps since they're designed speciefically for the tighter water-cooled engines that dominate the engine industry of today, plus an additional consumerism factor of making things cheap.

When you plan to keep bike short time then there's no worry of course, you can run on a vegetable oil if you like to, but if you plan on making 100-200K+ miles on your bike and still be able to run the original engine then the matters can be different.

API SG spec (i.e. compare BMW and Golden Spectro with others in graph) has enough zinc and phosphor levels required for the robust air-cooled engines. It's not just the BMW, but Moto Guzzi and Ducati have issued similar official warnings about using modern-spec oils in their air/oil-cooled bikes in the recent past since people have experienced major engine failures since those modern oils tend to be made cheap by not having enough wear-protective additives such as zinc, magnesium etc (expensive metals and requires technology to make them as oil additives in the right amounts = too costly by consumerism standards). Doesn't mean you have to buy an expensive oil, but I reckon one should think twice when buying the cheapest oils available.

oilreporte.gif

Have you ever wondered why the brand new OEM BMW branded oils you can buy today for your boxer are still based on that "obsolete" API SG or SH spec not some "bacwards" compatible new spec oil as SF or SJ? And why-o-why that "obsolete" SG oil is still being produced today? There's a small but a healthy market of oldschool-design engines still running.

Can't find the newer similar European market warning, but here's an older US BMW's official warning on using new generation oils in your air/oil-cooled boxer.

Since it's an oil thread - I'll get me coat now... :augie

I don't think it's because it's cheaper to produce with the additives, I think it's been reduced by EU regulation!

though I am not an authority on it! :augie

any opinion on this stuff?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-LINE-...05&prg=11472&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=201078884508&rt=nc

Back
Top Bottom