Front brake clicking noise

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Light clicking noise from front brake when braking, brake works fine. Frequency of clicking reduces as road speed comes down.
Anyone had this ? I'm going to remove the calipers to take a look.

R1150GS, 2001, ABS no servo. (it's nothing to do with the ABS mind)

Are the discs on the 1150 floating (I'm assuming they are?). Most floating discs make this noise, some more than others. It could be normal or maybe the bobbins/mushrooms are worn (or the locating holes in the discs). TBH it's hard to tell without hearing it.

Andres

Could it be the pads moving around a little? Mine do that but it's only noticeable at slow speeds.

Light clicking noise from front brake when braking, brake works fine. Frequency of clicking reduces as road speed comes down.
Anyone had this ? I'm going to remove the calipers to take a look.

R1150GS, 2001, ABS no servo. (it's nothing to do with the ABS mind)

Could be your brake bolt mounting washers have worn away. Get hold of the disc and see if you can move it backward and forward along the wheel rotation.

+1 for Steptoe's suggestion.

I'd put my money on the wave washers have corroded and broken. I had exactly this on my old GS. The bobbins will appreciate a good run down too with some fine wet & dry

I had this problem and replaced the bobbins, fitted the wave washers and even wrapped the bobbins with PTFE tape.
No real cure just slightly lessened the rattle.
After I got scared about my brake lines and replaced them with SS I thought why not also renew the pads so the bike had front and rear pads replaced with Ferodo Platinum.
The old pads didnt have the locating springs that the Ferodos do and the pins where shot so I replaced them as well.
No more rattle, fingers crossed. Mine used to rattle on rough roads as well.
Probably a combination of all the above.

Adrian

Good point. I forgot the pins. They are worth telangiectasia with stainless. The old ones get rutted and corroded. Recommend you get some new stainless items or at least make a good job cleaning the old ones

Don't ask me what that word is! Flippin auto complete!

Back
Top Bottom