Norton Commando 850 Tax Exempt ? any help please

Ianak

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 1974 Norton commando 850 roadster and as years ago it was getting close to its 25 birthday I was looking forward to it being tax exempt ... but then the government stepped in and changed the rules
Now its had its 40 th birthday ... Does anyone know if it is now entitled to be tax exempt I cant find any thing but have been told there is a new change in the exempt rule
I did the national rally this year so for the one day on the road it was £40 in tax

Ian

Sorry can't help about the tax..... But show us your bike..... Got the hots for a Norton....:bounce1 :bounce1

Was it built in or registered in 1974 , free vel is based on date of production and not on date of first registration , so if it had a 1973 build date but was registered in 1974 it would be exempt

I think it is now a rolling 40 yr old exemption, only its April dictated, so you have to wait until the following April to apply, and it applies if it was 40 at the end of the last year!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...0-year-rolling-exemption-for-classic-vehicles

So all 1974 vehicles will be tax exempt, from April :augie

I think you have to send off the registration document to be re classified as historic vehicle, though that may have changed!

Back
Top Bottom