650GS ADV ?

laughingBob

Been told by a UK dealer that there were strong rumours of an Adventure version of the 650GS wih larger fuel capacity and slight increase in engine size. Has anyone else heard this rumour or have any details ?

Oh man I hope you dealer is right about these new possible bike, was thinking of buying something new and I reckon this bike could be the answer. Please let me know if you hear anymore info.

Seems an odd idea - I've always considered the Dakar to be the 'Adventure' version of the 650GS - and that's been fairly recently updated, hasn't it (twin spark etc)?

Mike:)

Reckon it may a good idea as would fill that gap between the 650 and 1150, as would be nice to have a bit more power and bigger fuel range and dont think the 1150 is really a off road machine at that weight.

Guys

Just checked in on my local BMW website from S.A. and looks like the rumours are true, uprated engine aswell as suspension and bigger tank.

Anyone want to buy my 2002 dakar :)

Why not just get a Schalber?

http://www.dhpmoto.com/Reports/Touratech/Didier's%20Bike/Didier's%20Bike.htm

Pics:

Didier's%20bike%202-sm.JPG

Are there any piccies yet or specifications?
A Lighter more powerful Dakar with a better front brake (1100s, 1150s and especially the 1200s stop yards faster than a 650 can at Motorway speeds)would be worth having.
I would definitely consider moving back to a Dakar from my 1150.
:cool:

Mike O said:
Seems an odd idea - I've always considered the Dakar to be the 'Adventure' version of the 650GS - and that's been fairly recently updated, hasn't it (twin spark etc)?

Mike:)

It's not really an adventure bike though is it? It's certainly not in the same league as the KTM 640 Adventurer. The tank range isn't partularly good and to increase it with the Touratech pannier tank set up is fairly expensive, especially on top of the price of a new bike. It's also a bit gutless compaired to the KTM.

Touratech's own TT39 version of the 650GS with a 39ltr tank is a proper adventure bike although it could do with a little more power, especially when fully loaded and/or two up. If BMW can build something in similar vein to this with another 10-15 bhp they'd have a bike to compete with the KTM.

The 1150 is a fine motorcycle in it's own right but, if I were going RTW or 'Overlanding' in North Africa, for example, IMHO it's too heavy, for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom