New running lights

(RIP) sherpa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been thinking about this one for a while now.

Keep seeing the new BMW cars with their horse shoe shaped side lights and wondered if it was possible on the GS

I found some 22,000mcd white LEDs on the net and sent for them

Fitted over the weekend and I think the results are pretty much what I was trying to achieve.

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,962
And in the dark

They are VERY bright and actually quite dazzling at eye level.

Only thing I want now is an H1 bulb for the low beam with a similar WHITE light rather than the creamy white of the original - any thoughts anybody?

Sherpa

Attachments

• leds 1.jpg
    leds 1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,937
White light

Phillips do bulbs called 50% brighter. they do a H1 and used them in my GS when I had one. Much better and truly a white light not ginger orange.

Ought to be avaliable from any good motor factors, even Halfords may do them. Got mine from Bristol Auto Electrical. They normally come in packs of two and cost about £12 + vat.

try that

Ian whinnett

Funnily enough, I understand Mike Orton was wanting do do something very very similar to his now-white adv........I bet he'll be in touch soon for more info ;)

:D

Nice job there Sherpa! Now you'll have to post EXACTLY what you did! :beerjug: :beerjug:

You'll never get an incandescent bulb that produces pure white light like an LED can, sadly. LEDs produce light at a single frequency, or at least a very narrow range of frequencies, whereas a normal bulb produces a whole range, with the highest frequency depending on the temperature (and material) of the filament.

Having said that, the "extra bright" bulbs are pretty white :) I've had Halford's brand 50% brighter bulbs in my GS since I bought it with no ill effects.

50% brighter bulbs

Just put these into my GS used Halfrauds own make they are noticeably brighter IMO and have the added advantage of buy one get one free at the mo. I think i got the pair for £12 a good investment
Tom

sherpa said:
Been thinking about this one for a while now.

Keep seeing the new BMW cars with their horse shoe shaped side lights and wondered if it was possible on the GS

I found some 22,000mcd white LEDs on the net and sent for them

Fitted over the weekend and I think the results are pretty much what I was trying to achieve.

Those lights are called "Angel Eyes" and I have been thinking of trying this Here. Its just getting it inside the light which would be the problem.:confused:

Mouse said:
You'll never get an incandescent bulb that produces pure white light like an LED can, sadly. LEDs produce light at a single frequency, or at least a very narrow range of frequencies, .

The white LEDs do produce a fair spread of colour, else they couldn't be white!

The junction produces UV light, which is converted into visible light by a flourescent screen, which is why some of them look blue-white. This makes them a bit less efficient than coloured LEDs.

Sherpa what a great bit of kit. (i know bit late but been away, no internet access-horror)

I to would be intrested in how you did this, are you going to post method/instructions????

Once again mate the dog's

LEDS for sale.

Also worth trying is a place called Goodwill sales.
You will find hm on Ebay.

They are very very cheap - he ha slots of different LED's and all the spec sheets for them.

The price even includes the resistor for them.

Mate has dealt with him (he's bought loads for his place in Spain that doesn't have mains power) and he's very happy with this place.

I'll be placing an order with him soon. Will report back when all is done.

Mike.

MK II VERSION NOW FITTED!

Well I was reasonably happy with the MkI version of the LED ring but I think i've cracked the look I was after with the MkII.

Any constructive comments appreciated

Sherps;)

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 489
answers

No ! they don't afect the CRAP BMW main beam as that where theyre fitted.
I run an HID lamp anyway for extra night time visibility.

The LEDs are slightly lower output than the MKI version but are still very dazzling.

OH!................................................I've just had an idea
.............................................................................................................now, I wonder if !!!!!.............

Sherps ;)

FINAL, FINAL MKIII version !!!

Right then! This has to be the one!!

Decided to have a look at fitting the LEDs inside the light .............

......................................................................................................................haven't you ever built a ship in a bottle?

Best yet and totally weather friendly

Sherps;)

Attachments

• pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 402

Back
Top Bottom