RDGA July

mgpaulie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a trip from 16th onwards leaving from Geneva going anticlockwise (sort of), do the RDGA, then heading across to Northern Italy to Bologna . Never in these areas before so looking for some advice

- 'must do' roads, places to stay etc.
- things and places to avoid, I think le Tour de France is in that area around 22nd July.
- what riding clobber is needed, does it get cold up on these passes
- any good tips and advice on any aspect of the planned trip?

I've got this from another thread which has been of help.

http://www.losapos.com/great_alpine_road

Thx

Paul

The passes on the RDGA are the must do roads :thumby: I liked the Col du Bonette best :beerjug:

The temperatures very much depend on the weather. If it's wet and miserable, is coild be 3 or 4 degrees at 2000'+, then a few miles later you could be in a sunny valley at 25+ degrees.

Have a look here, from day 6 we were on RDGA

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/279972

We are going back this year to ride it in the other direction.

- 'must do' roads, places to stay etc.

All of the major high passes, we missed the first couple in 2011 as we joined from the Petite Saint Bernard, but the best ones start around there anyway.

L'Iseran, Galibier, Bonette are really all awesome, once south of La Bonette things are not quite so great IMO, but do not miss that middle section.

- things and places to avoid, I think le Tour de France is in that area around 22nd July.

Cycles will undoubtedly be found in numbers, and we came across a couple of cycling events along the route - anywhere on this years TDF will have loads of them on.

- what riding clobber is needed, does it get cold up on these passes

It is always cool at the top of really high passes, especially early in the day, and snow could be encountered at any time of year. I use textiles without winter liners and just carry a good jumper (EDZ Micro Fleece) I can put on if it gets cold, take a selection of gloves as well.

- any good tips and advice on any aspect of the planned trip?

Enjoy - RDGA so far has been my favourite Alps trip, great roads and scenery, nice Hotels, reasonable prices - except right on the coast, if you want to stop on the Med be prepared to pay a premium for everything.

Also check if there's an amateur prolog event passing through before the TDF. I got caught out by this in the Pyrenees which resulted in a long diversion

Back
Top Bottom