Bead breakers / tyre changers ....

Giles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got the sidestand of a 1200GSA, and two 10" levers.....
On the trails I have two 6" levers and the heel of a moto-x boot.

:blast

Timpo, FFS ... I thought you were sensible ..... !

We're talking about my beloved 1190R here, not some DRZ 400 that's going to get its wheels chucked on the ground .....

I want a bit of TLC, some care and consideration, no scratched rims .... we're talking tyre soap and latex gloves here .... :D

I have one of these:

http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=bead-breaker&pid=11

I also have their wheel balancer and both work very well. The bead breaker is useful as a "third hand" for getting a new tyre on if its playing hard. I tried one of those in your link first with the long handle but couldn't get on with it for some reason. I took the handle off and use that as a wheel helper for taking the discs off etc.

I use it on two bikes - cast wheels on a K1100 and wire wheels from a 1200GSA. Quality products for the garage.

:blast

Timpo, FFS ... I thought you were sensible ..... !

We're talking about my beloved 1190R here, not some DRZ 400 that's going to get its wheels chucked on the ground .....

I want a bit of TLC, some care and consideration, no scratched rims .... we're talking tyre soap and latex gloves here .... :D

Hahaha..... I'll let you off then. Lol...
Take the lose wheel to the local tyre depot and let them do it.;)

I have one of these: ......

Ok ... thank you ... food for thought ....

(The 'wheel helper' as you call it, sort of appeals in terms of a rig for tyre irons etc, rather than rolling around the floor getting shit all over the bearings and discs .... Timpo .... !!!! )

Hahaha..... I'll let you off then. Lol...
Take the lose wheel to the local tyre depot and let them do it.;)

Well joking aside .... my reasoning is,

i/ I want to learn to do it myself ....

and ii/ I want to do more off roading this year and want to be able to swap quickly from road to dirt. It's that phone call on Thursday afternoon 'wanna come to Salisbury on Saturday ..?' and I can't get to Watlings 'cos I'm working scenario. If I can do it myself it gives me an hours notice ...

(ok .... three hours .... !)

Ok ... thank you ... food for thought ....

(The 'wheel helper' as you call it, sort of appeals in terms of a rig for tyre irons etc, rather than rolling around the floor getting shit all over the bearings and discs .... Timpo .... !!!! )

I tried that - its not heavy and stable enough for the force you will use with the tyre irons. Thats why I take the discs off so I can use the floor....with a rug down first of course. I use the opportunity to clean out and rotate the bobbins on the discs whilst I'm at it.

Sorry to state the obvious, but how about a different pair of wheels?

:hide

Only down to money. I had a second set on a TC GSA which cost about £400 I think, and life was a doddle - one set with pure road rubber, the other TKC's.

The 1190 is only a couple of years old so there are few spare wheels floating around. A new set like these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3314...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

...really appeals (I could even go 17" front sticky super moto style !) but with disc rotors and abs rings it's going to be expensive ...

You just need tyre levers and a handy rock...

20140926_125718_zpshlicy7am.jpg

But if I was going to buy one it would be the Rabaconda. I'm pretty sure ABW sell them so there's a deal to be done.

Yes, but you'll be done in 3 minutes leaving 2 hours and 57 minutes for gin and tonic.

NOW YER TALKING ..... :D

(I have one on the go as we speak .... !)

Tyre changing

I have the Seeley one it the one in Steve k,,s post ok on road bike tires but the rim clamps won't open up large enough to put a 21 inch rim in :thumb was be warned Giles

Yes, all received thank you. I'm looking at about £60 to £80 I guess, so it may boil down to one of the hoop style rigs ... :thumb2

I have the Seeley one it the one in Steve k,,s post ok on road bike tires but the rim clamps won't open up large enough to put a 21 inch rim in :thumb was be warned Giles

Its a bit misleading says 21in but the mm size converts to 20.6in is it possible to re fabricate the clamps to make it take a 21in wheel?

Back
Top Bottom