40,000 ml service '93 80GS, what needs done?

nud1e

Reaction score
My 80GS is coming up to an indicated 64,000 kms. I think that it was recommended for earlier boxers to replace the timing chain and exhaust valves at this milage.

Any recommendation as what to replace, check etc.

I've replaced alternator rotor, battery, the fork seals and oil in the last 6 months.
The coils and HT leads have just been changed as a bit of preventative maintenance.
The floating disc rotor is rattling in its bobbins and I may replaced it and the Continental headlight.

I'm capable of changing oil and filters, setting the tappets ( I think one's rattling), adjusting the carbs - I've a Carbtune like Steptoe - oiling and adjusting cables and greasing pivots and wheel bearings.
However, if there's some major work to be done, I'm happy and able to take it to a professional or a dealer.

Any suggestion gratefully received.

at that mileage my R100's valves were a pretty loose fit in their guides to the point where they made a nasty rattle as one side of the valve head hit the seat before the other. motorworks told me this was a prelude to the exhaust valve heads coming off. hmmm.

i replaced all valves & guides though it may well have gone on for years :nenau

at least those bits don't rattle anymore ;)

none of the work required is rocket science.

ps. i bunged new rings in while i was at it. i wouldn't bother doing that again.

Don`t know what book tells for that mileage but i would check driveshaft and lube splines. At least if that haven`t been done for ages.

Copper slip on the exhaust header clamps!

Check ingnition module to heat sink paste.

Gear box breather - speedo mounting bolt and the rubber "water excluding" boot - add sillatic to ensure it does its job of keeping water out of the gear box.

Velo starter motor - clean and regrease?

Check steering head bearings for tighness (avoid slack here - destroys bearings)

Oh - change the fork oil ... must be the most neglected part of my bike :)

Change hub oil and gearbox oil. Check/strip and grease clutch pivot mechanism. I would change brake fluid and fork oil. Check and adjust rocker side play if apparent. Check diode board fixing and earth straps if fitted for hardening or cracking

What you do depends on how much you have done in the past. If I buy a bike I always assume nothings been done and work front to back. Take tank off and check for any hidden corrosion, clean fuel taps and filters.

The list is endless but I work on a rolling schedule and ignore fixed schedule servicing.

Back
Top Bottom