I-mate Jam

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bought an I-mate Jam, and I have to say it is a nice bit of kit. Convenient size, well integrated phone, camera, BT etc.
Would like to have the Wifi but I don't see a.g pda out there. Hopefully, I will be able to get an sdio card with .g.
Anyhow, I am happy, and would recommend the thing.

motomartin said:
just had a look & its an electronic swiss army knife for those that can't write with a pen :)

Easy to make fun of but devices like these (I have this one) are the overland biker's best friend. No need to lug around a laptop or find an internet café when you are in the middle of nowhere. You can get GPS on them email, internet, as well as music and entertainment. One device that fits in your pocket and you can charge from the bike does it all.

And when you can't find a pen or a scrunched up piece of oily wet paper you can write a note on it - or record a voice memo if your fingers have gone numb from the cold.

:D(this post was written from my mobile phone):D

Well at least we now know what the feck it is! Looks very interesting but, not cheap:D

Don't you just love it when people ramble away in a jargon that most other people havn't a clue what they're on about? Anyway Schianninni, thanks for the easy to understand explanation. All we need now are pictures and prices.

Going back to my first point, a Dutch friend has sent me a link to a game where motor racing circuits can be constructed and raced on. Well when I down loaded it I simply got a single page of writing in Finnish or some furrin language. I got back to him and he said I should use my commonsense and drag down some circuit parts. When I told him for the second time that commonsense wasn't the problem, he told me I should download Flashdance or something. Well I've done this, tried to get onto the game this morning and still get the Finnish writing, so that's been consigned to the electronic trash can as life is too short to put up with these irritating problems. I just wish that some people would realise that many of us were brought up with log tables and slide rules, and not silicon chips. (Rant over, sorry..:( )

Paul Narramore said:
Don't you just love it when people ramble away in a jargon that most other people havn't a clue what they're on about?

NO! :mad:

(but I'm relieved to know its not just me!)

TWICE I went into PC World with the clear intention of buying a new laptop - and on both occasions I left empty-handed after being bombarded by 'techno-babble' from what are laughingly called 'sales' assistants, who couldn't wait to enthuse over 'ram-this' and 'frequency-that' -all the while managing to not actually respond to my clearly stated needs for the bloody thing!

The worlds gone mad, I tell you.

A question for all you IT ludites out there...

Would you buy a bike/car without knowing the engine size, BHP or detailed spec. These are technical things, which matter and you know about or make an effort to learn about. You wouldn't just take the salesman’s word that the vehicle is the model for you would you?

Then why would you buy a piece of IT kit maybe costing over a grand without taking the time to learn about it's specification and if it's suitable for you?

:confused:

Well said Whatton :)

Jargon, used properly, is essential for proper communication. Do you think IT educated people use those words just to make you feel inadequate? Or because it conveys meaning better than saying "The little thingy on the screen isn't working. You know, the thingy you click on to open the internet."

To me a piece of IT is exactly the same as a washing machine or a fridge or any other domestic appliance. I turn it on and it works. I don't give a toss how it works as long as it does.

Whatton said:
Would you buy a bike/car without knowing the engine size, BHP or detailed spec. These are technical things

Almost certainly. Do those things matter if you like how it feels/looks/costs?

"The little thingy on the screen isn't working. You know, the thingy you click on to open the internet."

Yup, that's exactly how I would describe it, and the reason for that is that I've been born and brought up with motorcycles for the past 40yrs and HAD to learn more about them as they are interesting and I couldn't afford to pay anyone else to fix them. Kids of 8 or 10 can text ten times faster than me, and use this computer far quicker.

Mind you computer literacy didn't help my 20yr old son when he ignored advice not to buy an Fiesta XR2, ignored advice about driving at a sensible speed, and ignored speed limit signs as he rounded a 90deg corner in a town centre and rammed the front of a chemist's shop, writing the car off. Ownership = one week.

There is a place for JARGON; I just wish those who use it would appreciate there are many of us out here who havn't a damned clue what they are talking about, IMHO (Oh and don't get me started on those damned initials!)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back
Top Bottom