New software update 3.1 available

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Plugged my Nav 5 in today to find a new software update available, 3.1. Took about 2 minutes to load with Express

Plugged my Nav 5 in today to find a new software update available, 3.1. Took about 2 minutes to load with Express

Yes, but note that BMW still not yet come up with a fix for the issue where the Nav V will not stream music to the Interphone MC series headsets.

Is it for Grmin/BMW to fix? Or is it an Interphone issue? Clearly Sena, Scala and Autocom do not seem to have any problems

Is it for Grmin/BMW to fix? Or is it an Interphone issue? Clearly Sena, Scala and Autocom do not seem to have any problems

According to a conversation I had with those good people at Chainspeed (who have a wealth of knowledge and expertise about intercoms, particularly those from Interphone) the problem is that BMW are using a very old A2DP protocol in the Nav V so that it remains compatible with the BMW Communicator Bluetooth intercom. However the MC series of Interphone cannot communicate with this for the music streaming. And until they -BMW- decide to update this A2DP protocol the problem will remain. I note that Interphone were very quick to release updates on the MC series when it initially came out but have not done so since. This suggests to me they are quick off the mark to address issues over which they have some control but are not able to address this problem as it awaits a BMW fix.

Peter

Added the ability to override avoidance of seasonally closed passes.
Fixed an issue that could cause the Last Ride page to show invalid data.
Corrected the display of the VIN on the My Motorcycle status page.
Removed references to "for purchase" from the map update reminder in Smartphone Link for devices with lifetime map updates.
Improved displayed unit consistency across pages when satellite signal is lost.
Improved the subtitles on several settings buttons.
Improved software stability.
(This version can be downloaded from:Garmin Support Download Section)

According to a conversation I had with those good people at Chainspeed (who have a wealth of knowledge and expertise about intercoms, particularly those from Interphone) the problem is that BMW are using a very old A2DP protocol in the Nav V so that it remains compatible with the BMW Communicator Bluetooth intercom. However the MC series of Interphone cannot communicate with this for the music streaming. And until they -BMW- decide to update this A2DP protocol the problem will remain. I note that Interphone were very quick to release updates on the MC series when it initially came out but have not done so since. This suggests to me they are quick off the mark to address issues over which they have some control but are not able to address this problem as it awaits a BMW fix.

Peter

So, BMW are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

If what you say is correct, then BMW have taken a decision to ensure that the Nav V retains compatibility with other bits of kit that they have sold. I am sure that people with this kit are pleased about that decision.

The downside is that it means that it means that the Nav V does not have compatability with Intaphone's latest kit. However, the compatability is still there for Sena and Scala kit.
- to me that sounds like BMW striking a reasonable balance.

Normally, when new products are released they maintain a backward compatibility, so could the problem be with Interphone for not maintaining this? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom