French Pyrenees

alan29

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So here's the plan .....
We are renting a mobile home in Argeles-Gazost for a week in September - its just too cheap to ignore. Going via Caen, back via Bilbao, 2 up.
We don't want to do lots of autoroutes and we don't want to do massive days - no more than 5-6 hours including stops. Ideally arriving somewhere interesting by mid afternoon so we can stretch our legs with a bit of sight seeing. My riding style is to potter about enjoying the scenery.
Thinking of hotels in Caen (straight off the ferry,) Chauvigny and Villeneuve sur Lot.
We know France pretty well from 30 years of camping/caravanning holidays, but the bike is a post-retirement thing.
I have been thinking of mainly autoroutes on day one just to get a bit south, then pretty well sticking to the N21 down to the Pyrenees.
Are there better/more interesting routes. Don't mind going through villages etc - we go to see France, not just its roads ;)
All suggestions gladly received.

Suggestion one: Get a map or three:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/398171-New-Michelin-maps-for-France

Back these up with Michelin's excellent basic route plotting map 726, which shows the Bis Tourist routes, shown in green on the map. You'll not go far wrong following these.

http://travel.michelin.co.uk/index.asp?function=search

You can also load your A and B points into viaMichelin's excellent route plotting tool, via their website.

Suggestion two: I did a ride report (of sorts) on near enough exactly the journey you are about to embark on.

Seriously, you are asking for routes over about 800 or more miles. There are several ways you can go, each has its own merits or drawbacks, often depending on how fast you want to go from A to B and what else you might want to do inbetween, albeit, we know you want to potter, stop mid afternoon and see things.

Not least, whilst you've told us that you'll be in your holiday rental home for a week (and why) and how you plan on returning home.... You've somehow forgotten to tell us the one vital bit of information.... How long have you got to potter between getting off the ferry in France and arriving at the front door of your holiday rental?

Plotting other people's holidays is never easy and it takes time if it's to be done properly. Helped if people either help themselves or provide all the key pieces of the picture, with much less froth... Nobody really cares (at least nobody who is maybe going to help you plot 800 miles of nice routes and things to see) if your holiday home was cheap or a king's ransom; it adds nothing to your key request.... Help me with my holiday. Come on, you know France, you've been there lots of times.... Use some imagination.... You CAN do it, I'm sure.... It's what retirement is for and you've got three months before D Day, that's a 1/4 of a year.

Suggestion three: Don't use the autoroutes, they are just a chore, although the alternative will take longer you won't notice it as you will be enjoying the ride.

I too have done almost the same route avoiding the autoroutes.

It all depends on how long you have to travel down. Both of these options will allow you to veer off and explore nice areas if you have time, but offer a good mix of quick roads with more scenic bits to break up the journey and make it interesting.

N158 and 138 to Le Mans - N23 La Flèche - D308 and N147 to Saumur (avoids Tours) - N147 to Poitiers and Bellac - D675 to St Junien and Nontron - D939 to Perigueux -

Then a choice :-

Longer route avoiding Toulouse.

N89 and D710 to Larzac - D660 to Cahors - N20 to Caussade - D926 & small sections of ZD roads to Montrosier - D600 to Albi - N112 to Aussillon - D118 to Carcassonne, Limoux & Quillan - D613 &107 to Ax Les Thermes - and numerous roads through the Pyrenees to your destination. If you need more direct from Ax Les Thermes - N20 to Foix - D117 to St Martory - N117 to Tournay - D20 to Bagneres de Bigorre - D937 to Lourdes and into Argeles.

Shorter route.

N21 to Bergerac - D933 to Marmande - Casteljaloux & D934 to Aire sur L'Adour - D935 to Tarbes - Lourdes and into Argeles

As Wapping's so kindly said, you know France, so just get a good map and plot it for yourself. I use the WHSmith French Road Atlas as that also includes nice little black roads that are, most often, off road routes!

Suggestion two: I did a ride report (of sorts) on near enough exactly the journey you are about to embark on.

I have found the trip report I made: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...ss-what-s-the-best-way-to-go?highlight=gazost

If you put Gazost into the Search box (uppper right hand corner) loads of threads pop-up; it's how I found my old post. Lots of them answer your question in more ways than one.... Some of them are even quite good, once you get past the usual 'What will the weather be like'.

Suggestion three: Don't use the autoroutes, they are just a chore, although the alternative will take longer you won't notice it as you will be enjoying the ride.

I too have done almost the same route avoiding the autoroutes.

Why not tell the fellow which way you went? It's what he wants to know, surely?

Cheers folks.
I have spent so long peering at the fine products of M. Michelin that my eyes are swiveling.
Part of the problem (1st world) is that there aren't so many green-lined roads in the west of France, and I actually know the east very much better.
I'm not totally idle, and have put my hours into this. I guess I am hoping for a couple of "must see" roads or villages etc. Certainly wouldn't expect to have my route planned for me - I enjoy doing that too much!
So N21 - dull and boring? Have never travelled it, but it looks like a fairly decent road that takes in Perigeux (excellent small park by the river to eat butties - have that for free) and Bergerac.
Google would have a 90 minute difference between toll and non-toll for 225 miles Caen-Chauvigny. Really? Can that be right?
In return I recommend this site for those who like to meander and end up somewhere nice in the evening.
http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/fr/carte-des-plus-beaux-villages-de-france

There is nothing guaranteed to be magical about roads lined green on a Michelin map, some of them are dreadful motorcycling roads, doing nothing more than meandering between ‘scenic’ villages. The clue to them is to look at the maps and work out what they might be like. For example: Villages or towns, widely spaced apart… Crack on. If in doubt, France is widely covered by Google's excellent Streetview, so you can all but ride the roads before you go.

If you are going cross-eyed looking at the detailed Michelin maps, just look at the 726 map, it really is very good.

You still haven’t told us how long you have between landing in France and rocking-up at your holiday digs, but never mind. Here are some ideas on things you might see and do on the way down:

• Here’s a list of the Plus Beaux Villages in France, along with their associated Michein (who else) map http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/fr/la-carte-routiere (Ooops, you have it already)

• Le Mans 24 hour race car museum http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/museum-2/

• The standing stones at Carnac http://www.brittanytourism.com/discover-brittany/quintessential-brittany/carnac

• Castles and chateaux of the Loire http://www.france.fr/en/sites-and-monuments/castles-loire-valley.html

• Oradour-sur-Glane, before anyone else suggests it http://www.oradour.info/

• UNESCO listed sites (bound to be something to see): http://southweststory.com/unesco-listed-sites-in-south-west-of-france

• Battle of Poitiers site: http://www.historytoday.com/ian-mortimer/poitiers-high-point-hundred-years’-war

That lot should keep you busy. Map them all out and join the dots. It’s fun, it’s free and they can’t nick you for it.

Last edited:
Cheers folks.
I have spent so long peering at the fine products of M. Michelin that my eyes are swiveling.
Part of the problem (1st world) is that there aren't so many green-lined roads in the west of France, and I actually know the east very much better.
I'm not totally idle, and have put my hours into this. I guess I am hoping for a couple of "must see" roads or villages etc. Certainly wouldn't expect to have my route planned for me - I enjoy doing that too much!
So N21 - dull and boring? Have never travelled it, but it looks like a fairly decent road that takes in Perigeux (excellent small park by the river to eat butties - have that for free) and Bergerac.
Google would have a 90 minute difference between toll and non-toll for 225 miles Caen-Chauvigny. Really? Can that be right?
In return I recommend this site for those who like to meander and end up somewhere nice in the evening.
http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/fr/carte-des-plus-beaux-villages-de-france

The N21 is ok, if you head that way as far as Auch, keep on the N21 but then cut through to Trie-sur-Baise and pick up the road into Tarbes, it's a nice road helped by fantastic views of the mountains, if the visibility is clear. The same road from Trie to Tarbes could be extended by starting it at Castelnau-Magnoac and dropping past the lake.

The 90 minute difference is possible, we travel down to the Gers a lot and the timings from Poitiers to Bordeaux are almost the same doing it on the autoroute or the N road.

Avoid the A65 from Aire-sur-L'Adour, it is fast, but one of the most expensive roads in France and the N road isn't too exciting. The D935 to Tarbes isn't the greatest either....

From my albeit limited local experience, I would keep as far east until you have to swing across. We have a house down near Tarbes and Trie and are still trying to find the most interesting route down (time vs fun)

:)

Great stuff. Lots to chew over there.
I have a hotel booked in Caen off the 9.30 ferry and am doing two overnights before arriving. I don't want to rush, and I don't want to do massive days with a pillion with "knees."
Thats why I mentioned Chauvigny and Villeneuve sur Lot as possible interesting places for the overnights.
I will spend a few (more) hours tomorrow going through the suggestions and then come back if I have more questions.
Planning is massive fun, isn't it.

Great stuff. Lots to chew over there.
I have a hotel booked in Caen off the 9.30 ferry and am doing two overnights before arriving. I don't want to rush, and I don't want to do massive days with a pillion with "knees."
Thats why I mentioned Chauvigny and Villeneuve sur Lot as possible interesting places for the overnights.
I will spend a few (more) hours tomorrow going through the suggestions and then come back if I have more questions.
Planning is massive fun, isn't it.

I live just over the mountain (Gabizos;Col du Soulor)) from Argeles......if you need advice on any local routes by all means just ask.

:)

I have a hotel booked in Caen off the 9.30 ferry and am doing two overnights before arriving. I don't want to rush,

OK now we are cooking on gas.

As I read it, you have two full days to complete the journey Caen > Chauvigny > Villeneuve sur Lot > Argeles Gazost which direct door-to-door is 930 kms or near enough 600 miles in Christian units. Given your constraints etc that might doable. Your trouble comes when adding in scenic routes, when you have a desire to stop reasonably frequently, see things - bimble - and finish your day mid-afternoon. To be brief: Three into two does not go exactly.

I have done my best to help you: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/C...2!1d-0.101087!2d43.005028!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0!4e1

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m40!1m12!1m3!1d87907.0146169244!2d0.7533257489267711!3d46.48644699134648!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!4m25!3e0!4m5!1s0x480a42bd4c04c933%3A0x3da5749f30d00859!2sCaen%2C+France!3m2!1d49.182863!2d-0.370679!4m5!1s0x47fc4afe272b0579%3A0x405d39260e7a7c0!2sChauvigny%2C+France!3m2!1d46.571149!2d0.6440709!4m5!1s0x12ab07706894df13%3A0x196cd70eaef2c923!2sVilleneuve-sur-Lot%2C+France!3m2!1d44.4082053!2d0.7072568!4m5!1s0xd57da6c4ee15807%3A0x406f69c2f3d8c30!2sArgel%C3%A8s-Gazost%2C+France!3m2!1d43.005027999999996!2d-0.101087!5e0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1433192295708" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

As you'll see:

(1) I have routed you direct to Le Mans, you really do not have much realistic choice.

(2) After Le Mans I have taken you down some decent enough D roads but still tried to maintain a sensible way of getting to your first overnight stop at Chauvigny.

(2) From Chauvigny, I've done much the same - adding in some major road sections - right down to Villeneuve sur Lot.

(3) Villeneuve sur Lot to your final stop at Argeles Gazost more of the same.

I have tried to route you past reasonably significant towns so you can stop; tried to avoid too many stupid left right lefts and even dafter minor roads. Why? Because you have given yourself two days - and they are not full days - to go about 600 miles. I can do 350 miles in a day in France, entirely on D roads but to be frank that's cracking on and I don't think you and Mrs Alan29 will do it, because you don't want to. Something therefore has to give in your plans, as you won't be able to stop to really look at things en-route as you might have hoped. Add an extra day (the overall distance doesn't change) but the daily mileage drops considerably... time over distance and all that old malarkey.

Have a look at what I've created. Pull it about, I won't be offended. Refine it, look at your maps. Put in what others have suggested... we have 90 days and this is only day one.

Richard

PS All done on the (excellent) new Google maps, which come into their own in quick to plot guff like this. You might have to click on 'more options' to display the route in the embeded file.

Thats tomorrows fun Richard. Will get back on it.
Meanwhile Google maps seems to have ditched the ability to plan routes and view terrain at the same time .......... unless you know differently .......

Thats tomorrows fun Richard. Will get back on it.
Meanwhile Google maps seems to have ditched the ability to plan routes and view terrain at the same time .......... unless you know differently .......

No rush, you still have 89 days.

Depends what you mean by 'View terrain at the same time as planning a route'. If you go to the bottom lefthand corner, you can switch between views, map and satellite, which are good enough for most things, the satellite view showing the roads / route and still allowing dragging. You should also be able to see snapshots of places, set out like a photo stream along the bottom. If you run your mouse along these, arrows leap out, showing where they are. It's really quite neat. To get the street view, click on the little yellow man (Where is Ting Tong these days?) - bottom righthand corner - and up it comes.

Aye, but you used to be able to set the view to terrain and then drag a route through the lumpy bits without switching to satellite view. It was simple, quick and efficient before they let the 14 year old geeks play with it.

Good work that man.
I'll buy that with one change. Quite happy to use the Autoroute for Day 1 Caen-Chauvigny to get a bit south. That evens up the hours a bit and makes it much more do-able.
I've actually given myself 3 shortish days, not 2 - 1 Caen to Chauvigny, 2 Chauvigny to Villeneuve, 3 Villeneuve to Argeles. I reckon thats pretty achievable especially if I maybe stop north of Villeneuve somewhere to even out the days a bit - thinking Monpazier.

Aye, but you used to be able to set the view to terrain and then drag a route through the lumpy bits without switching to satellite view. It was simple, quick and efficient before they let the 14 year old geeks play with it.

Too bloomin' right - what was once brilliant is now a disaster . . .

Have a great trip - my tuppen'th - don't just stay in France :D

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom