Susten Pass - Andermatt Road was closed - NOW OPEN - August 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

sven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Only the St Gotthard tunnel motorway is open, so you have to go back over the Susten pass and take the Grimsel and Furka passes to get there :banghead:

I was heading from Brienz to Lake Como via the Splugen pass though yesterday, so diverted via the rather splendid Klausenpass :thumb2

On the plus side anyone finding out the hard way gets to ride the Susten pass twice :thumb2

Susten is one of my favourite passes, and the Grimsel is pretty damn fine as well, not that the Furka is bad either.

So, what you are saying is that the Susten Pass is open (in both directions) but the road to Andermatt is shut. Cause / duration of the shut, unkown.

Susten, grimsel and furka are open but the road between Andermatt and Wassen is closed for the foreseeable so you can't do the passes as a circuit

Fine from Andermatt go over the Grimsel heading North, across the Sustem heading East (The best way to ride it IMO) come back over the Susten and then back over the Grimels heading South (THe best way to ride that) with the bonus two of the best Swiss passes have been ticked off your list in both directions.

The bit between Andermatt and Wassen had some fairly major roadworks going on when we were there last year - luckily it is not a great stretch of road anyway so nobody is missing much.

i was there 2 weeks ago and was shut then,we were told it was a landslide,no matter as has been said previously get to do the susten both ways(we ended up doing it 3 times in all).

Landslide happened end of May.
They said that they hoped it would not be a long job to reopen the road.
The website now just say work in progress.
Could be a long time.
It is well signed on all the aproch roads.
But all the signs are in German and not that easy to understand.
They have also had to put security at Andermatt as poeple are trying to get through as the gps tells them they can.:augie

Will post when opened.

the security guy was really helpful,spoke english as well which was a bonus:thumb2

So, what you are saying is that the Susten Pass is open (in both directions) but the road to Andermatt is shut. Cause / duration of the shut, unkown.

I should have been clearer :p I'd been over the Grimsel, Nufenen (a real gem), Tremola and Furka passes the day before and saw signs at the bottom of the Furka pass which I assumed were stating that the road was closed between there and Andermatt.

I ended up heading over the Klausenpass (also a real gem), through Chur and over the Lenzerheide and Splugen passes on the way to Lake Como, so about an extra miles and a late arrival in Bellagio

Funny how passes are viewed by different people, I would rate the Susten as best Andermatt pass, closely followed by the Grimsel, then the Furka, Tremola (if you don't mind some cobbles) and then the Nufenen and lastly the new St Gothard.

The restaurant at the top of the Nufenen was very good last time we stopped there for lunch, but take the dead end valley with one way traffic lights at the top of the Grimsel for a much better lunch experience and some of the best views on the Andermatt area.

Last sunday we went from Oetz and then travelled over the Silveratta road then down the Chur and onto Andermatt then doing the Furka Grimsel and Susten Passes .
By the time we got to the Susten the rain that had been plaguing us since the Furka had cleared it was bright and sunny and there was zero traffic on the Susten.

We did a number of the higher roads and passes when away and out of all of them the Susten was the one that flowed best best and was a brilliant run, forgot how good it was as the last time I was over the pass was back in 93

I live about 30 minutes from these passes.
And the Grimsel is my favorite :bow
And probably my favorite passes in the Alps.
But i would not ride it on the weekend unless very early or very late, to meany nuters :eek:
And trying not to speed is also a problem :rolleyes:

The Wassen to Andermatt road is now open.
There is still a lot of road works going with traffic lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom