Scooters across the desert...the official launch....

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As most of you will know, three UKGSers, Slimbo, Tony and Myself, left Blighty on the 18th Dec 2004 and drove a vintage series 3 land rover a bit over 4500 miles to its final destination in the Gambia.

This was done as part of the
Plymouth-Banjul Challenge , and I’m not going to bore you with information on why and how, it’s all there for you to look at, as is Slimbo’s fine write up of our trip (work in progress) that you can find HERE

All the pics can be found at http://www.fanum.smugmug.com/ .

Anyway, the money’s still coming in for from that one, but we succeeded, we achieved what we set out to do;

And I should say again that the dates on the camera were wriong :rolleyes:

Three Tossers set out across the desert;
14837918-M.jpg

Generously sponsored by many fine individuals and some great companies;

14844314-M.jpg

And we overcame trials and hardships, at one stage becoming a recovery bus driving people and kit out of the clutches of death in the middle of the Sahara desert;

14853872-M.jpg

(hmm, ok, it wasn’t THAT bad but there were some challenges ;) )

Matron’s TENS equipment, Chris That Fat Twat’s drugs and Grumpy Lee’s Surgical appliances being donated at the Royal Victoria Training Hospital hospital;

14856491-M.jpg

Loads of footie kit donated by Slimbo’s son’s club, delivered to St Francis Basic Cycle School, Kunkujang mariama, Near Banjul

14837793-M.jpg

And finally, two Land Rovers donated to very very good homes, where they’re saving lives and helping the community right now;

14837800-M.jpg

Ok, I hear you shout, that’s old hat, why the fekk are you telling us this???

Well, we’re doing it again !

But different….bigger, better, higher levels of stupidity and mayhem!

This time though I want to do it on two wheels…….

GS’s would be way too simple and easy though, that’s what they’re designed for for a start, and for another thing, the vehicles get donated or auctioned at the end of it….
SO my proposal is this…….

17688497-M.jpg

We’ll do it on Honda C90’s…

12 of them in fact, plus two spares .

Yep, I’m serious, I want 12 riders to accompany me across Europe, down through Morocco, across Mauritania and the Sahara desert, down through Senegal and across The Gambia to their final destination.

The 12 on bikes will be supplemented by two drivers who will pilot the support vehicles- I envisage them all swapping around regularly so that everyone gets to ride and drive regularly.

I’ve been talking about this behind the scenes since we came back, sounding people out and getting the core of a team together, but I need way way more help….I know that even if I now have a list of people, there will inevitably be drop-outs because of money, time off work etc, and although this is a hugely satisfying, amazing and worthwhile trip, it’s still a big commitment that enthusiasm alone sometimes won’t be enough to fulfill.

There’s lots more happening, which I’ll talk about soon….we have already got one excellent vehicle donated and we’re looking for another, we have a potential donation of 6 or possibly 8 fully maintained C90’s, we have helmets, we have all sorts of leads and contacts already being explored.

I also have a shopping list of other things which I’d like to throw open to you all……

1) I want more people who would like to do this trip……..I want a full 14 person list plus spares in case of drop-outs. (I’m also going to be recruiting two Advriders if I can)

2) And high on the list of priorities……Media coverage- Imagine the scene, 12 riders on c90’s, clad in orange jump-suits (I’ll come to that later…..it’s this image I have in my mind ;) )…That’s surely got the potential to attract a film crew or TV prog??....Anyone have any contacts in the TV world??

3) More C90’s……We may have 6, there’s the potential of 8, but I want 14……and loads of spares……..do you have one? Do you know any companies or organizations who might be getting rid of any????

4) Tyres…..We’re going to fit knobblies from Kids MX bikes on the scoots…..so we need 30 front and 30 rear MX tyres in the right sizes…..anyone know a top bod from a tyre firm/importer etc etc???

5) Kit…….I do have this image of all of us riding across the desert in similar lids, wearing Orange overalls…….purely for the image and its marketability (thus fundraising potential)……so I need 14 sets of kit- either armoured suits or body armour and tough overalls that could be worn over the top……

6) Fuel….obviously, we’ll need shitloads of fuel….does anyone have any contacts in any fuel companies that might be able to sort us out in some way?? International fuel cards, donations etc???

7) Pizza boxes…….It strikes me that a large pizza company might well pay a lot of money IF we get on TV if we have their Pizza delivery boxes on the backs of the scoots……..that sort of exposure has got to be worth a lot of money…anyone know anyone high up in a Pizza chain??

8) A second support vehicle……..I’ve got one good lead which I’m following up, but I really need a second support vehicle…..LHD if poss, preferably a Landy , Merc van, Unimog or similar…..

9) We need the Merc van converting to LHD…..anyone know of a Merc dealership, workshop, tech college or anyone who might be able to do this?? For Free???? (well, obviously they’ll get full coverage and sponsors logos etc)

10) If we get a Landy, that’ll need converting too…..anyone friendly with a L.R dealership??

11) Food and medical supplies……We were spoilt by Chris That Fat Twat this year, who very kindly supplied us with self heating scram and a bunch of medical supplies…..14 people is a different ball game though- so we’ll need loads and loads of food and some pretty hefty and serious first aid kits…..anyone in wholesale, know anyone in the food industry or medical supplies???

12) Everything else…I’ve only just covered the main points, there are loads of other things we could do with…….so any ideas???

So, there we go, that’s the idea!

If you really fancy doing the trip, please thnk about it, then think about it some more….then check with your significant other, and check with work…….Several people who’ve already said they’re coming are having to take unpaid leave- I was lucky this year but for next year, I’ll be taking at least two weeks unpaid…..a big cost, but one that I know is worth it, having completed one trip already.

If you still fancy it, then have another final think then get in contact.

Same for any help…….if you might be able to help with any of the list above, please have a think then ask around a bit…….and if it turns out what you thought was feasible, then get in contact.

Finally, I’m currently writing proposals and statements in order to register ‘UKGSER Challenge’ as a charity…….I’m looking for some trustees (though I do have a couple in mind) …this is because last year we found that companies quite rightly would have preferred to donate to a registered charity for all sorts of reasons, not least tax, and we’ve already been asked about our charitable status this year with regards to vehicle donations…….So if anyone has any experience of setting a charity up, or who might be willing to lend us accountancy skills, again, please get in contact.

(this is why my pm box has been full so often....:rolleyes: )

Regards
Bill, Toubab on a scooter.

What do you mean it’s a mad idea….this is the perfect vehicle for 14 tossers to ride across Africa on ;)

honda_c50_page_1.jpg

:D:cool: :cool: :cool:

PS please feel free to comment away here, suggest ideas etc etc....but to contact me about serious help or if you'd like to be on the list to actually go, please Email me;

bill*dot*oates*at*ntlworld.com

Thanks.
:D

PS, many thanks to Bryn, Riverking and Ming, who have already gut well and truly stuck in to helping make this thing happen.....:thumb Well done and thanks guys...it's gona be a good'un :D

Bill

PS I might as well state now that the biggest reason for doing this, maybe even before the craic that this trip will be, is to raise money for charity......almost certainly (but not yet finalised ) for Cicra and Cancer research.

I have a target of £40,000 in mind...........

Ya reckon we can do it????

:eek: :eek:

Totally feckin' crazy. I like it.

Key questions:

1) When?

2) How long will it take from leaving UK to arriving back in UK?

Mike

PS I might as well state now that the biggest reason for doing this, maybe even before the craic that this trip will be, is to raise money for charity......almost certainly (but not yet finalised ) for Cicra and Cancer research.

I have a target of £40,000 in mind...........

Ya reckon we can do it????

:eek: :eek:

bill

sent you an email about the tyres might be able to help

i would love to do this but i dont think hwmbo will let me go i think he knows that i would come back at some point lol

i wil try to help this side of things though if i can

:p

Provisional interest in going here.
couple of questions......

How long do you think it'll take, give or take the obvious, and, when??

All the rest seems fairly straight forward. Like the choice of bike too. :D

Cheesy Mike said:
Totally feckin' crazy. I like it.

Key questions:

1) When?
Almost certainly immediately after xmas....this year we left on the 28th dec. not confirmed though.

2) How long will it take from leaving UK to arriving back in UK?

Mike
This year it took us 22 days. I reckon the scoots will be the same speed as the landy (averaged 40 odd mph over the whole trip) particularly as we might well go by rail or in the support truck down to Soto Grande (Gibralter way) to avoid the loooong french and spanish motorways sections.

Flights back to the UK though only happen on Tuesdays or Thursdays, so this might affect things, though it would be possible to fly to Paris or elsewhere and change.

I'll buy my own C90 to donate at the end of the trip, one less for you to source Fanum :)

After Xmass.. fook ..:eek: that is the middle of yer winter .. 6 hours of light in the day .. no I don't call wot ewes get in winter daylight .. I've seen it and it anit daylight. More like cloudlight.

Rail to Soto Grande ... that bit sounds better - anthing to avoid that oible weather :rolleyes:

They have the postie bike challenge down 'ere... about half the bikes are crap at the end though. That may need some thinking about.

Whatton said:
I'll buy my own C90 to donate at the end of the trip, one less for you to source Fanum :)

Great offer Kev, but I'm hoping we won't need to do anything like that.......we should be hearing very soon about 6 or potentially 8 that we've been working towards....another fluurry of emails was exchanged today that we're hoping will clinch the deal, and I'm hoping to have good news very very soon........

I'm gonna let the man with the twinkly blue eyes announce it himself and post the pics though, cos he's worked so 'kin hard on it ;)

If we get those, I think it'll be a good indicator that we can get the rest we need (and these are 'specially suitable' because of where they come from ;) )

Too much to hope that there's still any of these:-

66hondatrail90.jpg

...left in captivity?

Not to worry......amazing what the Blue Peter types can do with a couple of plain old vanilla C90's:-

<iframe frameborder="1"height="900"scrolling="auto"src="http://www.hondaheaven.org/Sections-article88-p1.html"width="800"></iframe>

Fanum said:
Great offer Kev, but I'm hoping we won't need to do anything like that.......

Bugger, what am I going to do with this then?

cub08.jpg

:D

Fanum said:
PS please feel free to comment away here, suggest ideas etc etc....

Bill

bring extra shocks!!!!:D

GREAT IDEA GOOD LUCK

The sooner Bills away the sooner we can post what we want!!!:D

If you want I’ll moderate for a week or two:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm in.........

The drawing board is cowering in the corner as I type this,long range tanks,50mm marzocchi forks,carbon fibre pizza box,turbo,nitros(TeeHee!) and slicks sound good to me,I'll make up time in the corners:confused:

Let the goading begin:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom