Double Fatal on the Grossglockner Today 24 July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Double fatal this morning on the Grossglockner when a UK registered Seat Leon left the road and fell 300 metres from the road.

At the time it was racing a UK registered Porsche which apparently buggered off , the driver later handed himself in to local police.

Just a warning for anyone attending the area in the next month or so as it will no doubt lead to a Police blitz on UK registered vehicles misbehaving.

Knowing a few locals and having spoken to local cops down there it is fairly standard procedure after such an incident.

I was down there last week and they had speed traps and vehicle checks on with a dozen or so cops in a couple of locations in the area

No worries here... The alpine passes are meandering territory for me:thumb...Can't see the need for speed on such roads...

But everyone to their own.:reaper

i did the Pass on Tuesday. It's great to ride with a clear run - I can see some chancing being done to get around slower traffic. But racing...

However it must be a money spinner for whoever owns it so I'm not sure they will be too draconian with a reaction.

No worries here... The alpine passes are meandering territory for me:thumb...Can't see the need for speed on such roads...

But everyone to their own.:reaper

Unless you get taken out by a Seat Leon - going off the road................................. :blast

Al

Police will not be on the toll section but I have no doubt that they will be enforcing the limits down from Heiligenblut to Lienz and north to Bruck, they did the same a few years ago to the Italians after a spate of fatals in the region involving some spirited but terminal driving incidents

Can't understand why some idiots see these roads as race tracks.
The same thing used to happen with bikers on the Cat and Fiddle pass not far from me. It was once deemed as the most dangerous road in England.
It's not a particularly dangerous road, it was the boy racers fatal accident stats that gave it notoriety.
This caused the authorities to festoon the road with speed camera's.

It must be a hilly mountainy thing with some folk...:blast

Seat Leon racing a Porsche..... got to admire the optimism, I suppose...

:blast

ad_176245166-e1437746460968.jpg

Very sad, going over the edge on such roads can only end badly. I doubt we will ever know exactly what happened but it is a reminder to us all that making a mistake or having a mishap on mountain roads can easily lead to tragedy. Mountain roads are no place for bravado, if you want to push the limits book a track day!

John

Mountain roads are no place for bravado, if you want to push the limits book a track day!

+1, a shame far too many view these roads as race tracks, I find the roads without barriers seem safest on my bike, nothing like the certainty of falling off the edge of a cliff to ensure my aspirations do not exceed my abilities.

He must have been going a fair bit more than a little too quick to have punched through the barrier, a slight slide or bit of understeer and I would have thought the car would have been kept in play by the barriers.

We were on the Timmelsjoch in June travelling into Austria from Italy and being a Saturday afternoon it was busy but we almost got written off by a group of seven or eight German registered gs and gsa's using the road as a race track.
They were riding right on the edge and luckily we managed to just avoid them by pulling right across our carriageway right up to the rock face and almost stopping
Their tail end charlie on a new v strom 1000 nearly wasn' t as lucky , he barely missed my bike and in doing so was totally off a safe line, he then served to avoid my mate who was behind me and somehow when braking avoided going through the barriers but clipped the stone supports with his offside panniers skittering to a halt just before the drop

Event now fading into history, thankfully.

Take care out there, peeps.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom