How do you handle an insurance claim?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Story so far:
Royal Mail van ran into my car yesterday, I rang Hastings Insurance who then put me onto Albany Assistance as my claim was a 'no fault claim'.

I've not claimed on car/home/bike insurance for many years now so thought I'd research this assistance firm - lots of negative reviews but none from after 2012 so my question is...
  • Am i wise to stick with Albany Assistance?
  • I've had to sign a 49 week credit agreement with them - got 14 day cooling off period. Wise to follow my insurance company's advice?
  • I've not heard from Royal Mail's insurers so assume it's all going through Hastings?

Any knowledgeable advice here or do I just continue with Hastings advice and stick with the assistance firm?

Contact Royal Mail's insurers and see exactly what their position is. You may find it's a lot quicker and easier to deal direct and no need to get involved in credit hire agreements, for example.

Albany Assistance did make you aware that if the other side doesn't pay up all of the credit hire agreement you'll be liable for the shortfall.

My daughter had a (fairly minor) altercation with a post office van a few years ago and I dealt with it for her. If I recall correctly the Post Office act as their own insurer and you will be dealing with them. They were slow and difficult to deal with but with a bit of perseverance we got the right outcome.

Personally I'd avoid these claim management companies. I had one in the past and I think it complicated things. I too was passed to them through my insurers on a non fault basis.
I don't remember signing a credit agreement?? I was given a like for like replacement vehicle (4x4) and because it took a while to get my car back, third party were being very difficult to pay for it, stating that I didn't need such vehicle. I nearly went to court because of it.

If you have the hire car option on your policy I'd expect to sign little more than the hire car agreement form stating "bend it you mend it".

If you have the hire car option on your policy I'd expect to sign little more than the hire car agreement form stating "bend it you mend it".
Monsieur is not claiming on his own policy though, he's been directed to an accident management company (which he is under no obligation to use) who will 'manage' his claim against RM, making their own profit on the way.

Credit agreement?

What for?

Why are you borrowing money, for a non fault accident?

Credit agreement?

What for?

Why are you borrowing money, for a non fault accident?

Obviously Monsieur needs to give an answer but they're usually taken to fund a hire car where a claim is being made against the third party. The problem comes in that claimants have a duty to mitigate their losses and depending on the nature of the vehicle hired, the duration of the hire and the rate charged the third party may refuse to pay all of the hire costs, thus leaving the claimant with any unpaid costs.

These things find their way to court regularly, and frequently with an outcome the innocent driver is not happy with. I've not seen one recently but it's not uncommon for the agreement not to be regulated by the consumer credit act due to it's nature and duration.

Obviously Monsieur needs to give an answer but they're usually taken to fund a hire car where a claim is being made against the third party. The problem comes in that claimants have a duty to mitigate their losses and depending on the nature of the vehicle hired, the duration of the hire and the rate charged the third party may refuse to pay all of the hire costs, thus leaving the claimant with any unpaid costs.

These things find their way to court regularly, and frequently with an outcome the innocent driver is not happy with. I've not seen one recently but it's not uncommon for the agreement not to be regulated by the consumer credit act due to it's nature and duration.

Ahh, the modern world................everyone has a touch out of it and the cost spirals to a lot more than it should be:blast

:rolleyes:

I've got 14 days grace to refuse Albany as an assistance so now plan to contact Royal Mail to find out their response - I just feel uncomfortable with using Albany when the accident wasn't my fault

Firstly are you fully comp or TP.
If fully comp then I am surprised at Hastings as you could claim off your own insurance and then they will claim of the other party's insurance.

Or is Hastings one of these micky mouse insurance companies that says - ahh you are making a 3rd party claim on your cheap insurance quote and you expect us to manage it - on your bike.

My view - pay cheap - get cheap service

Firstly are you fully comp or TP.
If fully comp then I am surprised at Hastings as you could claim off your own insurance and then they will claim of the other party's insurance.

Or is Hastings one of these micky mouse insurance companies that says - ahh you are making a 3rd party claim on your cheap insurance quote and you expect us to manage it - on your bike.

My view - pay cheap - get cheap service

In one

Cheap isn't always best

You only know how good the service and backup is, when you claim

Albany assistance will have been sold your details by your insurer. Albany will give poor service but eventually get it sorted. No quicker or better than your insurer could have done. By doing it this way your insurer and Albany make money. Every one else looses.

Back
Top Bottom