Adjusting the chain.....

Brenchleyhibs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have no engineering skills whatsoever. However, as a new XR owner I accept that I'm goinng to have to remember how to adjust a chain (haven't done so for 30 years!).

It all looks straightforward but my motley collection of spanners and 1/4" drive sockets don't seem man enough for this job. according to the owners manual I need an "M24 x 1.5" socket and a torque wrench capable of 100Nm.

So what exactly does "M24 x 1.5" mean in terms of Halfords 1/2" sockets? It certainly isn't a 24mm socket. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks,
Andy

really dont want to sound rude but is this a wind up?

M24x1.5 is a bolt size, ie Metric 24mm by 1.5mm pitch, M24 is a snif under an inch so possibly the the size of the spindle bolt, although that sounds way to big, the nut on my KTM is 24mm socket
When you have the bike, go to a tool supply shop, measue the distance accross the flats on the big nut round the spindle and that will be the size of the socket you need, or ask the man behind the counter for one and he will try several until you have the one that fits, you then find the right size spanner for the adjuster and jobs a good un, having said that I havent seen the bike up close and you may not need a spanner for the adjusters a lot of the new ones have holes in the adjuster and you just put a small screwdriver or allen key in the hole and you can turn the adjuster.

Hi All,

I have no engineering skills whatsoever. However, as a new XR owner I accept that I'm goinng to have to remember how to adjust a chain (haven't done so for 30 years!).

It all looks straightforward but my motley collection of spanners and 1/4" drive sockets don't seem man enough for this job. according to the owners manual I need an "M24 x 1.5" socket and a torque wrench capable of 100Nm.

So what exactly does "M24 x 1.5" mean in terms of Halfords 1/2" sockets? It certainly isn't a 24mm socket. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks,
Andy

No... I'm afraid that it's not a wind up.

... and I have just been back and forth between my parked bike and Halfords three times (it's not really that far) to settle on a ruddy great 34mm socket!

If my chain needs adjusting, I'll take it to the dealer and they'll adjust it for free. Can't be getting my hands dirty!:p

Does this sum up today's motorcyclist?
Loads of money but no mechanical skills??

I knew that, do you have a go yourself at fitting accessories etc though?

All joking aside, yes, I fit most accessories myself. I wouldn't start taking major engine or suspension components apart, but anything else I'll have a bash at. :thumb

It helps having a mate that works as a BMW technician, so if I ever get into trouble, he'll pop round and sort it.

Does this sum up today's motorcyclist?
Loads of money but no mechanical skills??

Sums me up.

Well, apart from the loads of money part. Spent that on the bike.

I do intend to learn though.

I think I would be too embarrassed to ask a dealer to adjust the chain its part of owning a bike its a bit like putting washer fluid in your car :comfort

Why should everyone that rides a motorbike have to have mechanical skills?:nenau

It's an old school thing Slutty...I paid an independent the other day to fit brake pads.. Could I do it yes... Could I be bothered no...simples...

Back
Top Bottom